Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Dodgy Children of Hurin Bookplates on Ebay

27 May, 2007
2007-5-27 12:35:32 PM UTC

Have a look at this Ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/children-of-hur ... 64205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was at Waterstones, the bookplates were not put on the Title Page as in the picture and I would be amazed that they ran out of Children of Hurin books, so put them in The Hobbit instead.

Looks to me like Fake Bookplates? I am going to report these to Ebay.
27 May, 2007
2007-5-27 12:44:06 PM UTC
I forgot to put that Alan Lee was also at the signing, yet the Children of Hurin book is not signed by him, it would have been signed if bought from Waterstones.

This is a 2 day sale so please can people report this to Ebay, I do not want someone to waste at least £500 pounds on these books. The seller has bought 5 items for no more than £5 on Ebay so has a 100% feedback, all looks very dodgy.

28 May, 2007
2007-5-28 3:25:53 AM UTC
Yeah, I saw that auction and the first thing I thought was that it was looked somewhat suspect. I certainly wouldn't be taking the risk of purchasing it without seeing a receipt for the books showing them purchased at Waterstones on the appropriate day, with a valid transaction time. Of course, even receipts are even pretty easy to fake up with access to a PC and a POS Printer. Looks fake to me!

Rgds
Stu
28 May, 2007
2007-5-28 10:51:03 PM UTC
Hi Trotter,

Therewas someone recently selling a group of photo's from their experience at Waterstone's including a high res photo of the bookplate.
Unfortunately that's going to make it fairly easy to reproduce considering the simplicity of the original bookplates.

I bought a signed copy from ebay purchased at Barnes and Noble and I'm glad that I bought it earlier than later. It's going to be hard to tell a fake from authentic in the future

Dior
1 Jun, 2007
2007-6-1 8:01:30 PM UTC
This is truly a shame. Someone has bid on this auction, which seems to me to certainly be a fraud.

http://cgi.ebay.com/children-of-hurin ... ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The signature does not even look like it is in the same ink as the authentic bookplates.
1 Jun, 2007
2007-6-1 8:08:49 PM UTC
Just for comparison, here is a link to an auction that appears to be authentic. Notice the difference in the ink. The real one looks like a standard pen (maybe ball point, roller ball) the other looks like a fine tip sharpie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHILDREN-OF-HURIN ... ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is sad, not only for this auction, but because the ease of forgery with these bookplates certainly reduces the value of the real ones. The only real way to avoid this is special limited editions that only exist in signed form. It is much harder to produce a facsimile of a special binding.
1 Jun, 2007
2007-6-1 8:44:03 PM UTC
That COH / Hobbit combo certainly does look to be a fake. One thing to keep in mind - I know of zero instances that the bookplates were put into books other than The Children of Hurin.

There are US trade editions with bookplates, and British trade editions and a handful of British Deluxe editions. There were no loose bookplates that I know of.

If you look at that dodgy auction image, even the helm emblem looks like it was scanned in at very low resolution - the lines are very fat and smudged compared with the fine thin lines in the original bookplate:

1_466084fde7bf0.jpg 400X300 px

1_46608504afd39.jpg 830X664 px
2 Jun, 2007
2007-6-2 12:46:22 PM UTC
Hmm, this ad looks like it was written by the same seller who had the COH with the Alan Lee and Ted Nasmith illustrations (all lower-case, "piccadilli," etc). It is very suspicous.
2 Jun, 2007
2007-6-2 12:59:48 PM UTC
I don't think it is the same people, after all the seller with the previous adverts was actually at Waterstones, but they are guilty of selling the scanned image on Ebay and starting what will be a huge problem in fake bookplates. I have given up reporting these to Ebay, as they don't care if they are fakes as long as they get their money for selling the item.

Rowns, what has happened to the number of posts they all went back to zero?
3 Jun, 2007
2007-6-3 9:05:29 AM UTC
I fixed the posts count for now, but we may lose them again until I can patch a bug that is triggered by a spammer in the news comments section. It's an easy patch to get the counts back, but I want to take my time on core changes so we don't lose anything key on the site.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us