Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Jan, 2008
2008-1-2 8:16:56 PM UTC
Here are some buttons (or badges as we call 'em over here) from my collection. I don't have much of a selection, but you are welcome to the photo.

The 3 on the top row were produced by the BBC to promote the 1981 LOTR radio serial. Cost (back then just 20 pence each - about 40 cents).

The Yrch! badge came as a freebie with a British Tolkien fanzine of the same name. The 'zine is mentioned here at TCG, and I can confirm that there were just 2 issues. I have them somewhere and can dig them out if Jeremy would like the info.

The last one is the Tolkien Society's own badge that has been available for many years, and still is I think.
15 Jan, 2008
2008-1-15 6:46:18 PM UTC
Hi Deagol,

any information you can provide on the UK version of Yrch! would be great (clearly TCG has the UK fanzine confused with the Michigan fanzine of the same name.) thanks!

Tom, I dropped you an email asking for a mailing address for your buttons - posting a note here as well in case this gets to you first.
15 Jan, 2008
2008-1-15 8:20:30 PM UTC
Thanks I replied
15 Jan, 2008
2008-1-15 8:50:58 PM UTC
Here are images of the Yrch! covers and contents pages.

Issue 1 Cover
Issue 1 Contents
Issue 2 Cover
Issue 2 Contents

The badge/button came free with issue 2.

Issue 1 - 1985
Issue 2 - 1986

Let me know if you need anything else.
16 Jan, 2008
2008-1-16 6:25:32 PM UTC
Hi Deagol,

thanks for the images. I matched up your information with what Gary Hunnewell provided me to put up some stub pages on the TCG page.

Doing some additional digging, I found a website from 2003 for the creators of this fanzine (which, unfortunately, does not have a working email address for me to contact for more info.)

http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/millifalcon/index.htm

It does mention that the title is pronounced "Eric!" and that both issues were produced in 1986 (not 1985 for issue #1). Do you know if the issue itself mentions when it was published? Have any other information available to confirm the 1985 date?

Anyone have current contact information for any of the editors? Even on the website there are no full names mentioned.

Was this fanzine associated with the Tolkien Society or a smial, or independent?

Thanks!
9 Feb, 2008
2008-2-9 6:40:54 PM UTC
The badges have arrived! Many thanks Jeremy.

The editorial in Yrch! is signed by "Eric and friend", but the editorial address is Jackie Marshall in Sherringham, Norfolk. Not sure if it was from a smial, or just TS members. I ordered copies back in '86 after reading about it in Amon Hen fanzine listings, so you should be able to find more info there.

The 1985 date I gave was a guestimate based on a comment at the end of Bagenders, a serial parody of a British sop opera:

"Bagenders will be available every two months upon receipt of an SAE and a 20p coin. Next episode due at the end of January 1986."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us