Hello, O ye helpful! If anyone has one or the other of the 1968 Allen & Unwin paperback Lord of the Rings and/or their 1969 India paper edition, can you take a look and let me know if a particular error is therein?

In Fellowship of the Rings, Book I, chapter 2 (I don't know the page number in the above-mentioned editions), 'The Shadow of the Past', in the paragraph beginning 'The murder of Déagol...', there is a sentence which in most editions reads 'It had obviously turned up just so as to be a present.'

In the 1994 revision and the editions based upon it, the sentence reads 'It had previously turned up just so as to be a present.'

I'm trying to figure out if this is an error that popped up in the 1994 revision of LR or if it was part of a side-branch the text from the 1968 through the 1969 India paper edition to the 1994, or just from the India paper ed. It doesn't appear in the 'main line' of textual descent. It does appear in the current Del Rey Ballantine edition, and should appear in quite a number of others (e.g., all those film tie-in editions of 2001–2003). This error was corrected in the 2002 revision, first published in the 2002 Alan Lee-illustrated three-volume set (HC and HM).

Other editions descending from the 1969 India paper edition are: the HarperCollins 1992 India paper ed. and its reprints, and the Lee-illustrated single-volume editions of 1991 and 1992 (both HarperCollins and Houghton Mifflin) and the 1996 HarperCollins trade pbk of the same. If the error originated in the 1969 India paper edition, it should be in those, as well.

Editions descending from the 1968 A&U paperback are: single-volume Unwin Paperbacks 'Unicorn' trade pbk and the 1991 Grafton trade pbk (with covers by either John Howe [Gandalf walking] or Roger Garland [Barad-dûr?]). If it appears in the 1968 paperback or those editions, then that's a quite long-lasting error.

Thanks for any help!