Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-10 4:06:01 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

I really enjoy these videos and look forward to them.

Very nice collection. I see you have many of the books that include JRR's illustrations (Pictures, The Art of The Hobbit, etc). Which one would you say has the highest picture quality?

I would say the 1992 Pictures by Tolkien and or Artist and Illustrator by Hammond and Scull are the best for image reproduction.
http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=804
http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1036
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 5:51:17 PM UTC
Mr.Underhill
what printing of The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise is that? Which editions of Sir Gawain and the green knight?
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 6:05:01 PM UTC

northman wrote:

Mr.Underhill
what printing of The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise is that? Which editions of Sir Gawain and the green knight?

King Heidrek is a 1st print from 1960
Sir Gawains are 2nd print (1930) 6th Print (1952) & 8th Print (1960)...I also have a 1st print (1925) in very rough shape, and 5th print (1949). Neither are shelved at the moment.
10 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-10 6:34:44 PM UTC
Amazing collection Mr. Underhill ! :D

Would love to have all the printing details of your hobbits !
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 7:05:47 PM UTC
Mr.Underhill both that 1st heidrek and the 1930 gawain look amazing. Front pictures? Sorry for the nagging but blame yourself ?☕☕
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 11:35:10 PM UTC
Great video guys. Those US Hobbits are indeed really cool with the varying coloured spines.

I don't have anything ultra rare but even so the books I would grab instantly are those god awful 2013 HarperCollins versions. I have some nice books, but those are my most cherished, for very personal reasons. The funny thing about those books is they reset in me what value meant. So yeah, for all the things I could save, they would be it.
11 Jul, 2022
2022-7-11 7:35:23 AM UTC
Impressive and impressed
11 Jul, 2022
2022-7-11 7:43:29 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Great video guys. Those US Hobbits are indeed really cool with the varying coloured spines.

I don't have anything ultra rare but even so the books I would grab instantly are those god awful 2013 HarperCollins versions. I have some nice books, but those are my most cherished, for very personal reasons. The funny thing about those books is they reset in me what value meant. So yeah, for all the things I could save, they would be it.

I'd be saving my cats and my boy (assuming my wife can save herself). The books can burn - I'm most definitely NOT going into a burning building for any of them!
11 Jul, 2022
2022-7-11 8:19:45 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I'd be saving my cats and my boy (assuming my wife can save herself). The books can burn - I'm most definitely NOT going into a burning building for any of them!

Oh for sure. There are 'real' things to be saved before books. Experience tells me though that the cats would probably save the rest of you. Like my old teacher who woke up to his cat frantically clawing at him to wake up and save the family from a fire. The cat could have run but stayed by his side.
11 Jul, 2022
2022-7-11 10:42:15 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

I don’t think they meant it as a serious question. In the video, they state at the start of the hypothetical that loved ones are all safe. It is a thought experiment to draw out what books in one’s collection are the most treasured personally.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us