10 hours 28 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

reCaptcha
Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The spam filter for comments is working now, but when I posted the first comment it didn't appear, so I tried to re-post but got a message saying the comment was already there.

The other trouble I sometimes have with this type of system is that the words are sometimes difficult to read. You can refresh the image, so it only a minor irritation.

Not long ago I was playing around with comment spam filters for Wordpress and found something called JS SpamBlock (v1.4). It is invisible to users if they have a browser that can handle javascript, otherwise they just have to type in a number. It seems to be 99.9% effective.

Posted on: 2007/11/2 12:29

Re: reCaptcha
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I had the same problem with reCaptcha, so I have some debugging to do if I keep it. It is only turned on for the Blog comments right now, so it shouldn't affect other areas of the site while I play with it.

Thanks for the tip on JS SpamBlock, I will definitely look into that. I do agree that the text can be hard to read and can sometimes be a pain, but I like reCaptcha for three reasons - one, it does the obvious (make sure there us a human on the other side), two it can play audio hints for the visually impaired, and three the words you type are actually used for text scanning verification - every time a user responds to reCaptcha, a document scanned by OCR is checked out to make sure the text was read properly.

In general I get a huge amount of comment spam and discussion forum spam. In fact, there is one spam software app out there somewhere that registers fake users automatically that I am currently fighting off. I filter it all by hand right now, so I need some automated help. Feedback on what systems people like is always appreciated!

Posted on: 2007/11/2 12:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]