Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 Sep, 2023
2023-9-4 10:43:08 AM UTC
I'm sorry to see that this tale is taking an even worse downward spiral. I just hope someone recognises that Polychron is likely to need support and friendship. Otherwise I do fear for him. He may be a numptie but nobody (well ok, not many) deserve the alternative.
4 Sep, 2023
2023-9-4 10:55:39 AM UTC

Amon Rudh wrote:

I'm sorry to see that this tale is taking an even worse downward spiral. I just hope someone recognises that Polychron is likely to need support and friendship. Otherwise I do fear for him. He may be a numptie but nobody (well ok, not many) deserve the alternative.

This is my overiding feeling too. He is clearly a few cans short and has been badly advised by whoever has been helping him cement his own feet. Wise council would have walked him away from this and ultimatey it is going to cost him dearly.

Obviously this is of his own making and even when I talked briefly with him on Twitter it was obvious that he was not quite right in aspects that need support, not laughter. It is a sorry episode for all involved.
4 Sep, 2023
2023-9-4 12:13:37 PM UTC

Amon Rudh wrote:

I just hope someone recognises that Polychron is likely to need support and friendship.

In most countries, the court system is not the best place to get this type of support either from the courts of legal practitioners. As has been pointed out, this entire affair is of his own making, and it does seem clear that he did not consider the consequences of his actions before embarking on them.
4 Sep, 2023
2023-9-4 5:31:03 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Amon Rudh wrote:

I just hope someone recognises that Polychron is likely to need support and friendship.

In most countries, the court system is not the best place to get this type of support either from the courts of legal practitioners. As has been pointed out, this entire affair is of his own making, and it does seem clear that he did not consider the consequences of his actions before embarking on them.

Too true but I'm hoping his (wider) family may step up.
5 Sep, 2023
2023-9-5 12:44:30 AM UTC
I do get the funny feeling that this guy was misled by somebody severely.
16 Sep, 2023
2023-9-16 7:55:45 AM UTC
This came out last week in the case Demetrious Polychron v. Jeff Bezos (2:23-cv-02831)

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6 ... s-polychron-v-jeff-bezos/

Accordingly, the Court should grant this Motion and award the Amazon Defendants their attorneys’ fees of $74,150 and the Tolkien Defendants their attorneys’ fees of $78,865.

Fees demanded USD 153,015

https://storage.courtlistener.com/reca ... urts.cacd.881511.52.0.pdf

Mr Polychron may have difficulties if he intends to challenge these costs, as he no longer appears to have an attorney working for him.

16 Sep, 2023
2023-9-16 8:20:19 AM UTC
Has anybody actually read the book, or parts of it?

How bad (or good!) was it?
16 Sep, 2023
2023-9-16 8:24:40 AM UTC

Brabander wrote:

Has anybody actually read the book, or parts of it?

How bad (or good!) was it?

Terrible, but you can read it if you feel like punishing yourself.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/reca ... urts.cacd.881511.37.7.pdf
27 Sep, 2023
2023-9-27 11:32:53 AM UTC
He continues to be bold : https://www.law360.com/articles/172594 ... n-bid-hurts-copyright-act

A fan-fiction writer who sued Amazon and J.R.R. Tolkien's heirs in April on allegations of ripping off his "Tolkien-inspired" books to create Amazon's "The Rings of Power" series said granting the defendants' recent bid for more than $153,000 in attorney fees would chill future copyright claims and that he simply has "nothing to give" after putting everything into his now-dismissed lawsuit.
[...]

Polychron, in pushing back against the bid on Monday, said that granting the motion would not only undermine the purposes of the Copyright Act and have a chilling effect on future copyright claims, it would also impose an inequitable burden on him because he simply can't afford it after paying for his lawsuit and also losing the income he receives from his books

27 Sep, 2023
2023-9-27 12:10:59 PM UTC

Druss wrote:

He continues to be bold : https://www.law360.com/articles/172594 ... n-bid-hurts-copyright-act

A fan-fiction writer who sued Amazon and J.R.R. Tolkien's heirs in April on allegations of ripping off his "Tolkien-inspired" books to create Amazon's "The Rings of Power" series said granting the defendants' recent bid for more than $153,000 in attorney fees would chill future copyright claims and that he simply has "nothing to give" after putting everything into his now-dismissed lawsuit.
[...]

Polychron, in pushing back against the bid on Monday, said that granting the motion would not only undermine the purposes of the Copyright Act and have a chilling effect on future copyright claims, it would also impose an inequitable burden on him because he simply can't afford it after paying for his lawsuit and also losing the income he receives from his books

I think he has a point, I hope it will stop future frivolous lawsuits like this one from being started.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us