Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Shelf recommendations?

12 Apr, 2023
2023-4-12 8:19:49 PM UTC

Hi all! I‘ve got a growing collection, but the shelf I bought doesn’t seem to hold the weight. It’s beginning to bow quite a bit and I’m wondering if you all have any recommendations for:

1. Supporting or strengthening a bowing shelf?
2. Shelf brand recommendations that don’t cost $$$$$$

Thanks!
12 Apr, 2023
2023-4-12 8:30:18 PM UTC
Giving the shelf support in the middle is your best bet - or putting a reinforcing cross piece perpendicular to the shelf. With modern mass produced shelving being almost exclusively "engineered wood" (MDF/particle board, in other words sawdust and glue with a plastic veneer that looks like wood grain) there isn't much you can do! I have had good luck finding real wood shelves at Cost Plus World Market and Pier 1 Imports, off and on, but shipping is not possible as they are almost always pre-assembled.

Recently I wanted a quick and cheap shelf unit for overflow, and I went with the below: still engineered wood, but each shelf has a cross-piece across the front that provides excellent support.

https://amzn.to/41okvJW

1_643714daa9cfe.png 1444X582 px
12 Apr, 2023
2023-4-12 8:49:09 PM UTC
Good advice Urulókë

If you are looking for cases that are solid wood and don't want to break the bank. Depending on where you live, do a Google search for antique stores in your area that have vintage furniture listings. You may find some cases that are sturdy and well made and can be had for a few hundred dollars. I have found two lawyers cases (solid wood, glass doors) over the years this way.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us