Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

"Tolkien et l'antiquité - Passé et antiquités en Terre du Milieu"

4 January
2024-1-4 8:03:37 AM UTC

Last year, the international conference "Tolkien et l'Antiquité : les Antiquités de la Terre du Milieu" took place at the Sorbonne and the INHA, in Paris, with the support of Tolkiendil.

8 months later, the conference proceedings will be published by “Classiques Garnier” : The two editions, one hardback and the other paperback, will appear on February 14.

French version :
Longtemps l’Antiquité dans l’œuvre de John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, du Seigneur des Anneaux au Silmarillion, a pâti de la comparaison avec le Moyen Âge. On a pensé que la réception de l’Antiquité s’y limitait à l’emprunt d’éléments de la culture classique. On sait désormais que les mythes antiques, d’Orphée à l’Atlantide, de la chute de Troie à l’Énéide, ont permis à Tolkien de donner une profondeur historique réaliste à son univers : l’Antiquité y apparaît en tant que la période la plus ancienne de notre histoire, transposée en Terre du Milieu de façons multiples mais exprimant toujours l’idée d’un passé classique, révolu et idéalisé. NB : Cet ouvrage représente les actes du colloque Tolkien et l'Antiquité, qui s'est déroulé en juin 2022 organisé au sein de l'Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne avec le soutien du laboratoire Anhima et de l'Association Tolkiendil.

English summary :
Antiquity in Tolkien’s work has suffered from comparison with the Middle Ages. We now know that the ancient myths gave depth to his universe : Antiquity appears there as a period, transposed in multiple ways, expressing a distant and classical past.

Tolkiendil bibliographic sheet with various purchase links => here
(@ moderators : feel free to modify the links if this does not suit you but I took the liberty of putting this one as I doubt that Amazon.co.uk distributes thoses books)

ISBN : 9782406159520 (hardcover) / 9782406159537 (paperback)
Publisher : Classiques Garnier
Number of pages : 248
Language : French (80%) and English (20%)
Published : 2024

If you have other questions, do not hesitate

NB : Attached, the cover, as well as the table of contents.

4998_6595d55b50d8a.jpg 1864X900 px
4 January
2024-1-4 9:43:46 PM UTC
Merci. Very interesting. I think I may grab a copy in both English and French.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us