Auction Ends 2024 April 5
Historical Manuscripts Signature® Auction #6285
Lot #47245

Tolkien updates a fan on his upcoming work, The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien Typed Letter Signed. One page, 5 ¾ x 8 ¼ inches (sight), London; March 29, 1973. Letter addressed to "Mr. Giusti," thanking him for his letter and offering an update on the lore included in his upcoming book, The Silmarillion. He writes, "Thank you very much for your charming letter and for your good wishes. The Silmarillion (which is already written but in need of revision) contains, set out in full, all the matter of Appendix A to The Lord of the Rings (hard back edition Vol. III, The Return of the King, pp. 313-314) and also and in particular the legend of Luthien referred to by Aragorn at Weathertop. Please forgive my brevity, but one of the chief obstacles to my works appearing in published form is the weight of my correspondence." Signed, "J.R.R. Tolkien." Matted and framed to an overall size of 10 x 12 ¼ inches.

Tolkien died only six months after sending this letter. Though he insisted that The Silmarillion was written, he did not say that it had been edited. Following his death, his son, Christopher, selected and edited the myths that would be included. The Silmarillion is divided into five parts, of which the fifth and final section discusses the events of The Lord of the Rings.

Condition: Creased along center fold and slightly wrinkled. Not examined outside of the frame. Frame is slightly scuffed.

You should always exercise good judgement and perform appropriate due-diligence when acquiring signed items to ensure that you are satisfied with the provenance and integrity of any item you bid on.

Letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to Mr. Giusti • 29 March 1973 (#1800)

Sold for USD 10,625.00 including premium

https://historical.ha.com/itm/autograp ... 37!itemid-6285_18001!wlem