« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Tolkien signature from 1982
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I dropped a note to the seller earlier today, and she was very gracious in her response and quickly pulled the listing. Just a case of innocent excitement without research I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if the book gets back on eBay sooner or later when someone else sees the signature and the cycle repeats.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 11:50

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I'm glad that it is just a simple mistake on the sellers part, but I am still amazed that buyers don't do any homewor before bidding.

Dior

Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:13

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Sorry, buyers doing homework? What about sellers? Ebay seems to be teaming with sellers who are operating at a level below that of the aforementioned car boot sale. Tolkien has to be one of the best known fantasy writers of our time. What excuse could you possibly have, with access to the internet, for not looking up when the author died? No excuse... but pretty funny none the less .

BH

Posted on: 2008/2/17 2:18

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I agree that sellers have a responsibilty to check their items before putting it up for sale......but it always amazes me that people are willing to part with their money without knowing about what they are bidding on

Each to their own I guess.

Dior

Posted on: 2008/2/17 3:05

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I'm sure someone somewhere out there collects (or studies) forgeries mind you. There was that pb Hobbit that came up a while back that the seller said had been signed by one of the Tolkiens. Someone on this forum (I think) suggested it might have been John Tolkien. But again, people bid on it; and nobody had a damn clue what it was.

BH

Posted on: 2008/2/17 3:40

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.