Edited by Khamul on 2011/9/14 14:15:54

Re: Signed items
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
There's an entry in the Auction Archive (REF: 004). The image below is of the unsighted second from front, I guess. However, the original auction didn't have three pamphlets. I'll capture auction data once it's finished.

BH

Attach file:

jpg  [eBay] [Book] Cursor Mundi (signatures).jpg (22.40 KB)
125_4e7118103a680.jpg 500X176 px

Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:10

Re: Signed items [Cursor Mundi]
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I emailed the seller, as the provenance claim (about where the copy originated) is clearly in error; or at least makes no mention of its recent sale. We'll see what the reply is.

BH

Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:40

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
We're glad to see that the seller has acknowledged David Miller's opinion that the 'J.R.R. Tolkien' signatures are of questionable authenticity. This is our opinion also.

Wayne & Christina

Important Addendum to Listing - Serious Question Raised On Authenticity of Apparent Tolkien Signature: We received an email from a member of the online Tolkien discussion group tolkienguide.com, who put us in touch with David Miller. While he is not a handwriting expert, Mr. Miller is an expert in Tolkien items and runs a bookstore specializing in Tolkien, The Tolkien Bookshelf out of Newton, Kansas ( www.TolkienBookshelf.com ). He has dealt with a number of Tolkien signatures, real and otherwise. It is his opinion that these signatures are fakes/forgeries. In comparing the signatures on these books with known genuine exemplars, Mr. Miller said, "the big tip-off is the crossed lower loop of the 'J'."

[Quote added byTrotter]

Posted on: 2011/9/18 18:51

Edited by Trotter on 2011/9/18 21:11:08
Edited by Khamul on 2011/9/19 4:28:38

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Thanks, Wayne & Christina, for adding you expert opinion here. The seller has visited the forum, so will hopefully see this.

BH

Posted on: 2011/9/19 4:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]