Stu
7 hours 8 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Folio Silmarillion print run numbers?
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi everyone,
I know the Silmarillion seems to be a comparative rarity to the others in the folio range (although there have been a few pop up on ebay lately). Does anyone know the print run of the first impression 1997 run?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/9/6 12:38

Re: Folio Silmarillion print run numbers?
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I can offer only negative information, I'm afraid, i.e. that the Folio Society official bibliography (Folio 60, 2007, a lovely book in itself) gives no number of copies for the first printing. It does indicate that there were five printings through 2004, and that there was a stated limitation of 1,750 for some copies of the fourth printing (2003). The Folio Society tends not to indicate print numbers in its bibliographies, and I believe I'm correct (without unearthing my old correspondence files) that that they couldn't or wouldn't supply them for their Hobbit and Lord of the Rings when I was writing my Bibliography.

Wayne

Posted on: 2010/9/12 18:38

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Apologies for not answering this bruffyboy. I guessed nobody had any figures. I asked FS very recently about the 2004 Deluxe (which I just purchased). They replied: "From our database, I can tell you that it was published in January 2004, but I am afraid that I don't have any further details to offer you. Due to space restrictions we are unable to retain marketing literature dating back so many years." --that's all I'm afraid. Not sure if they'd have any information at all about anything before this...

BH

Posted on: 2010/9/13 9:04

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
thanks guys. Would you believe it but the copy I bought never turned up in the post; thank God the seller gives no quibble refunds!

Posted on: 2010/9/17 10:24

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Funnily enough, my copy of the 1997 Folio Sil went missing en-route as well. In the end, I found out about 6 months later that the seller had sent it to an old address related to my paypal account, and not the address they (a) told me they sent it to, (b) I had listed on the payment or (c) I had listed on the eBay transaction and (d) I had re-iterated in the text of the paypal payment.

I only figured this out because it was the address of my previous employer and I happened to bump into someone who still worked there that mentioned they had a parcel for me, so I got them to forward it on. I've always wondered how the buyer got the wrong address from Paypal/eBay as it was not listed on on any of the electronic communications between us. However it occurred, it seemed like a fairly significant privacy breach for someone to gain access to address details that were not supplied as part of the transaction. After that I deleted all of my old addresses from both accounts, just in case it happened again...

Still, I got the book in the end (so I didn't lose my twenty quid)!

Stu

Posted on: 2010/9/17 13:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]