SeanG
17 hours 15 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Later impression jackets [LotRs]
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Since my return to the buying and selling scene I have noticed that there are quite a few 1/1 books out there with later impression jackets. I'm curious what this does to the collectibility of the book? It seems like the book would be worth the same as if it had no jacket at all. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/5/3 12:46

Edited by Khamul on 2012/5/13 9:21:10

Re: later impression jackets
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
If the two were brought together (at a later date), by anyone besides the publisher, then I think it totally trashes the collectability; personally. Essentially, there is the whiff of deliberate deception at some point in the books history.

BH

Posted on: 2012/5/3 13:43

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Agree. Don't like the thought that a dj has been changed and someone has replaced with wrong impression. Would rather wait and save money until right copy came along. This can be frustrating I know but patience is the key here especially if funds are limited.

This being said as khamul eluded too sometimes the 'odd' dj was put on by the publisher so research needed. For me the fun is still in the hunt and to find a better copy every time I buy.

Some good books out there at moment if you look hard enough.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:42

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Peeta wrote:
Since my return to the buying and selling scene I have noticed that there are quite a few 1/1 books out there with later impression jackets. I'm curious what this does to the collectibility of the book? It seems like the book would be worth the same as if it had no jacket at all. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks

Yes, worth the same as an un-jacketed copy unless done by the publisher. That said, I have taken a perfect ex-libris jacket and mated it with a matching book (that had no jacket) to produce a combination that is perfectly correct and matching. I think the only problem is when the bits don't match.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:00

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Here is good example of a mismatch and it sold for £424
Mad - I bet you could negotitate this sort of price for a first wiht matching jacket !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Return-King ... ks_UK&hash=item231cd82430

Posted on: 2012/5/3 23:24

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.