1 day 5 hours 30 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Book containing International Illustrations or Artwork for Tolkien Books
Quite a regular
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I received this enquiry thru my web site, and was unable to help this gentlemen. Here is his question,

"I kindly like to ask you about a book that I saw in the Bristol public library. Unfortunately nobody there could tell me the name of the book and I cannot go there and take a look on my own because I live in Switzerland. It is a kind of compilation of Art work of Tolkien editions (Lord of the rings and/or The Hobbit including covers of these books) from all over the world. I remember illustrations of the editions of Russia, Japan, Hungary, Czech Republic, the Netherlands, France, some Scandinavian countries etc. So it really showed a big variety of international illustrations of Tolkiens work. The format of the book was approximately around A 4 and a few centimeters thick. It was not an illustrated copy nor was it Art work by Tolkien himself (maybe it contains a few of his drawings though)."

Any help would be appreciated

David

Posted on: 2012/10/9 14:00

Re: Book containing International Illustrations or Artwork for Tolkien Books
Home away from home
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hm, the only book I can think of would be James H. Gillam's Treasures from the Misty Mountains (a strange compilation of images copied from the Internet), published in 2001.

Amazon UK

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Treasures_from_the_Misty_Mountains

Douglas Anderson's Annotated Hobbit reproduces several covers of international editions of The Hobbit, but I don't think this is what the inquirer is looking for.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 0:00

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The first books that came to mind for us were Tolkien's World: Paintings of Middle-earth (1992) and Realms of Tolkien: Images of Middle-earth (1996), but neither reproduces covers or has the quite range of nationalities mentioned in the query, or is 'a few centimeters thick'. We too thought of The Annotated Hobbit.

Wayne & Christina

Posted on: 2012/10/10 4:17

Quite a regular
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks all, hope it helps him locate it.

d

Posted on: 2012/10/10 11:50

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
It would be useful to know if it was a hardback or not. I doubt it's Treasures from the Misty Mountains as, having just flicked through it, it doesn't have many/any (maybe I missed them) foreign editions; certainly not all the ones cited. It's also riddled with errors & worse than useless!

BH

Posted on: 2012/10/10 13:20

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.