7 hours 13 minutes ago

Findegil
7 hours 28 minutes ago

Urulöké
10 hours 17 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

First Edition Silmarillion?
Just popping in
Good day! I joined these forums because I was given something that I'm not quite sure of. My sister had found a copy of The Silmarillion at a used book store for $5.00. It appears to be a first edition. However, I have no real way of knowing. Or, for that matter, if it holds any real value.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

It does have a map attached to the final page:

Open in new window

But what I was mostly curious about was a signature on the right side of the inside cover:

Open in new window

And then a serial number?

Open in new window

It may all be nothing. I'll admit, I have no experience in rare books or collecting. But the fact that it's a London-printed 1977 edition was enough to spark my curiosity. I've seen versions with this cover being sold online anywhere from $20 to $650. So that tells me either there are true rare first editions and some not-so-rare prints...or there is no true value inherent in this book and it's just a matter of what you can convince someone it's worth. Any help you all could offer would be immensely appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/1/4 8:15

Re: First Edition Silmarillion?
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The good news is that it is a first edition of the UK Silmarillion.

These were issued in very high numbers and also there are different printers for the first printing (Billings or Clowes). You can see the printer under the page that says First published in 1977.

If it says Clowes then there are another couple of points to look at, collectors tend to prefer the Clowes printing as it is felt to be an earlier version than the Billinsg version.

I have no idea who the signature is, probably the original owner, and this would detract from value.

The serial number appears to be 1st £20.

I would think it is probably worth between £5-£15 pounds, could be more if it is a Clowes copy, but not much.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 9:59

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I agree with everything Trotter says, regarding it being: a first edition; it being (also) a first impression; the signature being (probably) a previous owners; & the "serial number" actually being (probably a booksellers) price i.e. "1st £20".

To further narrow it down: who is the printer (to bottom of copyright pg.)?; does the jacket carry a printed price?; & are the tops of the pg. edges dyed blue?

Aside from all this, it's worth £20 tops.

BH

Posted on: 2013/1/4 11:11

Just popping in
The pages are dyed. I'd say black, but it's very possible it was a dark blue originally. There is a price of £4.95 printed on the dust cover. I don't have the book on me until later so I couldn't say who the publisher is.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 12:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]