« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Poor Journalism
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
o dear o dear
either misled or misleading?
Re the fee - sorry what a scam . So you pay €50 just to get chance to bid. Even if it was a 'real sig I wouldnt pay to sign up.
I know some will say it will help with society funds but €50 - £40 come on that is mad isnt it

Posted on: 2013/5/2 23:06

Edited by Trotter on 2013/5/4 6:40:29

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
further note: check out this link :
http://www.scealeilebooks.ie/blog/?p=99

Not sure if this has been added/changed since initial posting but they admit it is a facs signature. So hang on why would i want to pay €50 to bid on a book i could pick up for not much more on ebay ?!??

Posted on: 2013/5/2 23:16

Edited by Trotter on 2013/5/4 6:41:07

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
It does seem that much of the Burren Tolkien Society page has been updated since yesterday to include Facsimile in the wording. Still, I am sure they have some people registered to bid who thought it was real at first. I am sure they will make more or the registration to bid than they will on the actual book.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 8:46

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

JonClark wrote:
It does seem that much of the Burren Tolkien Society page has been updated since yesterday to include Facsimile in the wording. Still, I am sure they have some people registered to bid who thought it was real at first. I am sure they will make more or the registration to bid than they will on the actual book.

I was sent an email today, stating that they going to update the website, and it looks like they have done that.

I don't think the auction will be very successful, as has been pointed out, plenty of these books are available on the secondary market and probably in better condition.

This book was given by Tolkien but he did not sign it, what an opportunity lost. I wonder if this was because the receiver of the book thought Tolkien had signed it.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 10:29

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I believe the gent said he was studying at Oxford in the sixties, when he attended lectures by Tolkien. We know that JRR retired in 1959, but I've heard or read that he stood in for his successor now and again.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 11:32

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]