« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Poor Journalism
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
If people have not seen this then Troel's blog also talks about the Burren Tolkien Society.

"Burren Tolkien Society
http://www.burrentolkiensociety.ie/
The Burren Tolkien Society, along with their Tolkien Festival, has recently received a some justified criticism for their completely spurious claims that features of the Irish Burren inspired anything in either The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, and also for the display of dragon-sickness in requiring people to donate €50.- to be able to even bid at a (rather worn) first edition copy of Tree and Leaf with a printed autograph. I think it is very sad that they have chosen to antagonize many serious Tolkienists by their ludicrous claims and practices, as there is a lot of sound research that has been buried by this silliness. So, do not believe any claim that Tolkien's visits to Ireland (starting in the summer of 1949, when The Lord of the Rings had been finished in draft for a year) inspired anything in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, but enjoy the biographical information concerning Tolkien's other links to this area of Ireland.

http://parmarkenta.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... n-transactions-xxxvi.html

They have also posted another letter from Tolkien (not for sale) on their Facebook pages, I suspect that they do not hold permission from the Estate to make this copyrighted letter available.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 6:58

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Wayne thanks for this but i wonder why no notice of your email was taken, he acknowledged my comments on the book's printed signature as if it was new information and that he had not heard it before.

I have no idea. I replied at once (11 April) and had no indication that my e-mail wasn't delivered. Maybe it was felt that the point about the signature was still open to question. I didn't question that the copy had association value.

Wayne

Posted on: 2013/5/4 7:04

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Just out of interest, since Trotter mentions copyright: I understand when letters are bought & sold on, although the physical letter itself is the property of whoever bought it, the content still resides (is still "owned" in copyright terms) with the author of the letter; in respect to publishing it. Is this still the case when the original recipient of the letter still owns it? i.e. in this case. I'm sure it does, but for a second it seemed odd when I considered it.

BH

Posted on: 2013/5/4 8:26

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
"Is this still the case when the original recipient of the letter still owns it?"

The Tolkien Estate owns the rights to anything he wrote, regardless of who possesses the letter.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 9:54

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The item fetched 1150 euros.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 10:29

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.