2 hours 1 minute ago

Findegil
2 hours 16 minutes ago

Red
2 hours 51 minutes ago

Trotter
3 hours 41 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Is my US Book of Lost Tales 1 a 1st/1st?
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Hello.

Online, I recently purchased a "Brand New" copy of JRR/Christopher Tolkien's "The History of Middle-earth: The Book of Lost Tales (Part 1)" for $30.00 (American Edition).

The number line reads: QWF 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I bought it based on the fact that the number line appears complete and the seller listed it as a "1st Edition". However, I have my doubts now because the text on the top of the front of dusk jacket reads "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, VOLUME I, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN", but on another copy I own (which I believe to be a 1st/1st (has full number line)), the top text only reads: "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN". Also, the copy I already own has "Part One" in GOLD font at the bottom of the dust jacket front (right above "JRR TOLKIEN"), and the book i just bought has the "Part One" in WHITE text.

One of them must NOT be a 1st/1st if their is ANY difference at all in the dusk jacket text, correct? Or maybe the seller put a later-printed dusk jacket on the book? He says he didn't, but who knows.

Additionally, what do the letters ("QWF") next to the number line mean?... NOTE: the copy I already own has an "S" as opposed to the "QWF".

Thanks very much!

EDIT: Re-sized Pictures Trotter

Attach file:

jpg  BOLT1.jpg (94.54 KB)
10_518750c66bedb.jpg 424X634 px

jpg  BOLT1 Copyright Page .jpg (94.08 KB)
10_518750d273dec.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/5 19:04

Edited by Trotter on 2013/5/5 23:41:44
Edited by Trotter on 2013/5/5 23:43:06

Re: Is my Book of Lost Tales 1 a 1st/1st?
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

aceofspades1916 wrote:
Hello.

Online, I recently purchased a "Brand New" copy of JRR/Christopher Tolkien's "The History of Middle-earth: The Book of Lost Tales (Part 1)" for $30.00 (American Edition).

The number line reads: QWF 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I bought it based on the fact that the number line appears complete and the seller listed it as a "1st Edition". However, I have my doubts now because the text on the top of the front of dusk jacket reads "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, VOLUME I, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN", but on another copy I own (which I believe to be a 1st/1st (has full number line)), the top text only reads: "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN". Also, the copy I already own has "Part One" in GOLD font at the bottom of the dust jacket front (right above "JRR TOLKIEN"), and the book i just bought has the "Part One" in WHITE text.

One of them must NOT be a 1st/1st if their is ANY difference at all in the dusk jacket text, correct? Or maybe the seller put a later-printed dusk jacket on the book? He says he didn't, but who knows.

Additionally, what do the letters ("QWF") next to the number line mean?... NOTE: the copy I already own has an "S" as opposed to the "QWF".

Thanks very much!

It certainly differs from my 1st/1st of the US BoLT 1:

- On my copy, "Part One" on the front is gold.
- On my copy, the number line starts with "S", not QWF.
- On my copy, the "Volume 1" is omitted from the title.
- On my copy there is no ISBN for the paperback, which makes sense as the Hardback would have been published long before there was a paperback version.
- On my copy, HM address is 2 Park Street, Boston Mass, not the New York Address. I think they changed to New York some time in 1991 or 1992.

My copy has a price of $14.95 - what price is listed on yours, as that should tell you how recent it is. For comparison, the 1st/1st of Peoples in 1996 was $26.95

Some kind of Book Club Edition? What publisher is shown on the spine (HM or HMH?)

Posted on: 2013/5/5 20:17

Edited by Stu on 2013/5/5 20:47:08

Re: Is my US Book of Lost Tales 1 a 1st/1st?
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Stu, thanks for the thorough reply.

The spine displays "Houghton Mifflin". I don't have a photo that shows the price, so I will have to check that when the book arrives.

I wonder if it IS a bookclub edition... good point. I'll have to look for that as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted on: 2013/5/6 12:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]