4 hours 1 minute ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Looking for the poem "Knocking at the Door" by Tolkien
Just popping in
From Denmark
Group:
Shirefolk
I am by no means an expert on copyright (far from it, I'd say), but I have tried to understand — or at least read — the Danish copyright law, which is what normally applies to myself.

Under that law, I can legally make an analogue copy of a work that I have legal access to, e.g. photocopy parts of a book, for my own private use. Thus, even if I had a copy of the relevant issue of The Oxford Magazine, I would not, as I understand it, be allowed to create a copy for you.

On the other hand it is my impression (and I emphasize that this is an impression only) that there is a long tradition in academic / scholarly circles of helping others with photocopies of hard-to-get works. If this impression is correct, there might be some provisions for limited copies for research purposes, though I don't know these (another possibility is of course that it is instead a silent agreement by which everybody wink at a practice which, though not entirely legal, still benefits everybody).

Not very helpful, I'm afraid, but then I am in any case not in a position to help you with the poem, since I don't have any copy of it myself.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 13:19

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Here is a good resource from the US Copyright Office talking about Fair Use and Educators/teachers/libraries and making copies. It does not try to call out what is right or wrong, only explain the laws as they currently stand and what implications that may have for teachers, etc.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf

My reading of it is that there are definitely circumstances (like the request make at the start of this thread) where making a copy for individual study is considered acceptable. Without having the knowledge to hold an informed legal opinion one way or another myself, I can say that I have provided photocopies of rare materials to others when there is really no other method for them to purchase something they need for their studies.

With that in mind, though, I will definitely remove any copyrighted materials from TCG (forums, Guide wiki, or elsewhere) as there is a major difference between making a hard copy for personal study purposes and publishing something online.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:53

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
You'd better get that YouTube clip of A Film Portrait (that you posted in another thread) taken down then! (--thanks for letting me watch it first though! )

BH

Posted on: 2013/8/5 15:09

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
That's a good point, Khamûl.

I have been fairly rigorous on notifying the estate/HC about online infringements for written materials, but didn't even blink on the video. Different rights holders, but they should have the opportunity to send the takedown notice to YouTube if they aren't already aware.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 15:14

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Generally speaking, those engaged in academic research contact their library rather than asking folk to post copyrighted material on the net. I did.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 16:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]