Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Does anyone know the value of my 1978 Gandalf metallic poster please?

7 Aug, 2013
2013-8-7 6:46:01 PM UTC

Trying to appraise my 1978 Gandalf metallic poster.

The fine print on the bottom says:

M-103 Gandalf
The Lord of the Rings ™, and all characters therein are trademark properties of Tolkien Enterprises, Berkeley, California
No unauthorized use permitted.
C 1978 Tolkien Enterprises, Berkeley Calif. 94710
Printed in U.S.A.

1952_520295c5db302.jpg 888X1096 px
7 Aug, 2013
2013-8-7 7:02:44 PM UTC
Don't know a lot about this poster, except that it is the iconic poster for the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978_film%29

It looks like this poster has a metal coating, anyone able to help?
7 Aug, 2013
2013-8-7 8:57:10 PM UTC
I have one of these, mine is 7 inches by 10.25 inches. Is yours the same size, out of curiosity? There are two sizes out there.

From Beyond Bree's List of Tolkienalia: #M-103, Tolkien Enterprises, 1978; color on silver polyester background, 21x30". Offered to members of The Fellowship [fan club for the movie at the time] from Tolkien Enterprises. $5. Small [my 7x10" copy for example] sample copies sent to Fellowship members.

I bought mine for about $10 on eBay around two years ago. I have occasionally seen one since then for about the same price, but don't have any additional auction data saved and there haven't been any in the last 90 days that I can find in their completed items search. All of the ones I have seen have been the small sample size. The larger poster would probably draw more interest, but there are a LOT of different Bakshi posters out there and not too many collectors any more.

It does look really nice. One of the few Bakshi posters that I have and like.
7 Aug, 2013
2013-8-7 9:03:06 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy,
oops, forgot to put the size of it. I wonder if I can edit my post.
Anyway, this is a full size poster. 21 inches wide and 30 inches tall. My husband used to own a store long ago that sold things like games workshop stuff and this is one of the things he saved his store when it closed.
Thanks
Karen
7 Aug, 2013
2013-8-7 9:25:49 PM UTC
Looking and what is selling (and not) on eBay for various Bakshi Lord of the Rings posters, I would estimate that your larger size poster, in what looks to be very good condition from your photo, would eventually find a buyer in the $25-50 range. Very nice signed posters (non-foil) have sold recently for about $100, so I would put that as the absolute maximum potential value if you could find just the right buyer but that could take a very significant amount of time. As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of posters from this film out there in many, many different versions.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us