1 day 6 hours 31 minutes ago

Beren
1 day 15 hours 19 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tolkien On Fairy-stories
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Well found this On Facebook (with some comments)
Daniel Helen on the Tolkien Society:
Why is _Tolkien On Fairy-stories_, published only five years ago (today!), so expensive?
It's over £300 on Amazon
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe ... 28expanded_edition%29.jpg

Morgan:
I'm surprised HarperCollins didn't anticipate higher demand. I suppose it is quite scholarly

David Doughan:
Well, the version edited by Anderson and Flieger is indeed a scholarly work, containing not only the essay itself, but introduction, notes, the two preliminary drafts (and notes on those), bibliography, index ... etc. However, if you just want the essay itself, that isn't expensive - you'll find it together with other things, e.g in _The Monsters and the Critics_, _Tree and Leaf_, or _Tales from the Perilous Realm_.

David Doughan:
However, I have just now looked on Amazon, and that is ludicrous!! £330.00??

Dimitra Fimi Verlyn herself was appalled that this book was only released in the UK and only via a very small print run. I took part in a round table discussion a few years go at Kalamazoo on _Tolkien On Fairy Stories_ and both Doug and Verlyn were unhappy with the fact that the publishers had deemed this book of 'less interest' than other Tolkien publications and had given it limited availability (which might explain the current price...)

Any comment ????

Posted on: 2013/7/4 13:43

Edited by Khamûl on 2013/10/27 4:39:15

Re: Tolkien On Fairy-stories
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
There's a copy on play.com for £22.76 (admittedly from a seller with only 78% positive feedback however)

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/34 ... ls.html?_$ja=tsid%3a48045

Posted on: 2013/7/4 13:53

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Well, at least HarperCollins did publish it. Houghton Mifflin didn't even bother taking the title on. I don't see what HarperCollins ("the publisher") could do about this --HM publish their titles in the US, they don't do so themselves.

That aside, it does seem rather difficult to find. How do the FB posters know the print run was "limited" and "very small"? Anyone any figures on this? Is there evidence it wasn't reprinted, etc?

Also, Amazon is not a guide to book prices; Amazon is a bibliographical mess. I wouldn't recommend using Amazon to gauge book availability; book rarity; publication date; etc etc...

BH

Posted on: 2013/7/4 14:51

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
There's a copy up on eBay right now:

eBay Item #271330357853

Nothing expensive about this...