Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Speedyhen

24 May, 2014
2014-5-24 2:26:32 PM UTC

I am having a number of issues with Speedyhen at the moment, and would currently recommend that you use alternate avenues for buying new books.

The two main issues that I have are

1 - Speedyhen do not have any phone number to contact them on, not good for an online company.
2 - In my case, which is possibly based on where I live in the UK, Speedyhen use a 'courier' service called Yodel to deliver items. I only became aware of Yodel through buying items from Speedyhen, but now would avoid any company that uses Yodel for deliveries like the plague.

I will give more info on my horrible experiences with Yodel, as soon as I am able
24 May, 2014
2014-5-24 6:09:21 PM UTC
I just got the standard Hb of Beowulf yesterday from SpeedyHen. Yip, agreed Trotter --Yodel can be a real pain. (When I lived in Aberdeen Amazon were also using them for a while a few years back; they got a lot of complaints I gather & stopped using them.) In this case my problem is with SpeedyHen/HarperCollins though. The book had no protection in envelope it was posted in (so, just the same as Amazon then!); as a result the book jacket was scuffed & creased. I realize the jacket is designed with that aged/blackened look to the corners (a little unusual for HC), but why do HC not bubblewrap these? My guess is SpeedyHen probably received the book in this condition.

It's going back.

BH
25 May, 2014
2014-5-25 3:34:34 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I just got the standard Hb of Beowulf yesterday from SpeedyHen. Yip, agreed Trotter --Yodel can be a real pain. (When I lived in Aberdeen Amazon were also using them for a while a few years back; they got a lot of complaints I gather & stopped using them.) In this case my problem is with SpeedyHen/HarperCollins though. The book had no protection in envelope it was posted in (so, just the same as Amazon then!); as a result the book jacket was scuffed & creased. I realize the jacket is designed with that aged/blackened look to the corners (a little unusual for HC), but why do HC not bubblewrap these? My guess is SpeedyHen probably received the book in this condition.

It's going back.

BH

Yeah, their packing is the usual Amazon/BD quality, so every chance of scuffs and dents. I find about 25% of orders need returning across all of those vendors due to damage in transit.

For their international eBay store orders, they seem to just use the regular mail service for delivery.
26 May, 2014
2014-5-26 10:30:00 AM UTC
Okay, so this is fairly minor (incredibly minor some might say); but it's annoying. If you were in a physical bookshop (do they still exist?! ) you'd be looking for a jacket that was cleaner ("newer") looking than this; I certainly wouldn't walk out the shop with this copy.

Deluxe arrived today, in shrinkwrap...

BH

125_538318f229795.jpg 610X288 px

125_538319135ec1e.jpg 695X288 px

125_5383192462f2e.jpg 430X411 px

125_538319313a863.jpg 533X337 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us