« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: A new collection
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Wow! Lots of questions Tom! And answering them could delve us all into Bibliophilic overdrive.

[Some thoughts on collecting...]

First of all I (personally) think you have to collect (or at least start to collect...) what you read. If you read & like Tolkien -collect Tolkien. If you don't read (or like) Harry Potter -don't start collecting it. When you've been collecting for years, your collecting tastes may evolve into something quite different; but I think this is good place to start.

Like any collecting -collect what you want; its not about what anyone else wants to collect -its about what you want to collect. You can be sure of one thing in regards to Tolkien collecting anyway -somebody somewhere will (in all likelyhood) be collecting in the same area as you (mabey not though!)

In the eyes of most people (this company excluded) your already a total geek for liking tolkien anyway! Wait to you tell them you have more than one copy of the same book! or 50 copies of the same book! or hundreds of calendars!

Also, you have your whole life to collect books (or anything else) if you choose to; there's no rush (is there?); and certainly no apparent end in sight even for those with a massive collection and years of collecting behind them.

Most people have a focus for their collection; an area they're particularly interested in. If you collect books generally, Tolkien might be your special area of interest. Within Tolkien collecting you may focus in any number of areas: primary works; only hardbacks; only one title (LotRs); signed books; illustrated books etc etc -whatever.

The aim of this (I think what drives those of us who collect) is to be able to (at least in theory) see a 'complete' collection in this area. Having some focus within an area at least (subconciously) limits you to only collecting within it; and ultimately sets some boundaries on spending.

Ain't got time to finish this (and Rowns has bound in with a fair bit while I was mid-typing this!)

BH

Posted on: 2008/1/1 11:39

Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
Thank you for the advice, I have and will continue only to collect Tolkien. At least thats my plan, this is a bit off book collecting but......

7) Have any of you ever herd of The lord of the rings Strategy Battle Game?

BACK TO BOOKS

8) Where can I find a list of UK LOTR paper backs?

Thanks for the replies

-Tom

Posted on: 2008/1/1 12:05

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
For the Strategy Battle Game, I think you are talking about this one?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28805

Looks like I need some help doing an update on the miniatures section of the Guide. (http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=Miniatures

For UK books, your best bet is definitely http://www.tolkienbooks.net

Posted on: 2008/1/1 12:39

Not too shy to talk
From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk
I happen to be a big fan of the lord of the rings battle strategy game.
I know quite a bit about it, and collect the figures regularly, my favorite aspect is making dioramas/displays, they are similar to train boards ect
I would fully recommend it, as it truly brings middle-earth alive!
(If you need any help info wise let me know)

Tolkienbooks.net is excellent as I have said before, but the site doesn't have any information on paperbacks!?!

Posted on: 2008/1/1 13:00

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
If you can put together a list of the sets/expansions/figurines, etc. that go with the game, that would be a great start.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net has pretty much all of the paperbacks, they are interspersed with the hardcovers based on when they were released. Here is an example:

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=45700

Posted on: 2008/1/1 13:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.