Stu
12 hours 6 minutes ago

Jlong
12 hours 8 minutes ago

Urulöké
15 hours 11 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Anyone see the value in this eBay auction?
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290203103988

I just don't get it. If it was two bidders getting caught up, sure, but there are 10 bidders or more (last I looked) all getting into it. All five books I can find online for at most $10 for the set of five. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2008/2/3 1:00

Re: Anyone see the value in this eBay auction?
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
[Rowns] Some of the price on Ebay are just a bit strange really. $100+ for a few paperbacks! What are they missing!

You know to pull out of the bidding when the price gets anywhere near Abebooks prices. If reputible dealers (with ABEs 13.5% fees) can sell for whatever; not much point in paying that on Ebay (unless its a reputible dealer on Ebay also!).

I've been watching HoME prices for a long while now, and the prices people pay for these books are highly variable. They've all been gradually going down in price (I think). But the other day, a fairly normal copy of Sauron Defeated went for £100; which is pretty high. And, did anyone see the copy of Peoples of Middle-earth (usually goes for ~£300-500), that ADCbooks sold last year for £830! . Whats that all about!?

The crazy world of Ebay...

BH

Posted on: 2008/2/3 3:44

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, the current auction is really bizarre.

I have never fully got my head around HoMe prices / scarcity. Partly because I've never really been in the market for them. I have replaced the one book that I didn't buy as a first edition (I think), and upgraded another one that had a worn jacket, but other than that I've only followed the market intermittently.

Posted on: 2008/2/3 5:05

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, that auction really was bizarre. And HoMe prices have always struck me as odd, that they have fluctuated so much.

Posted on: 2008/2/3 5:23

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Okay, here's another one...

The Making of Lord of the Rings Rayner Unwin 1 of 100
Item number: 160203238326

Finished a week or so ago. dunedain8 took it for $83.77 (~£43)!! I don't understand this either. A quick look in bookfinder.com reveals four copies available; all <$42 (Thornton's copy ~$12!!).

So whether its worth $80 odd or not; you can buy it on ABE or Amazon for ~$40 And more than likely you buy from a dealer who actually sells books for a living...

BH

Posted on: 2008/2/9 4:27

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.