Re: History of Middle Earth
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Speak for yourself!

We know from the sneak peak we've had of your collection (on TolkienLibrary) that you have more than both!

Ahhh... The Holford Collection...

Posted on: 2008/3/1 7:25

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
[Peeta] Sorry, one other point worth remembering.

Deagol mentioned the line number sequence in respect to HarperCollins vol. 10, 11 & 12. This only really applies to vol. 10 Morgoths Ring; as Jewels and Peoples were never reprinted in hardback format i.e. there is no 2nd impression for these two volumes. (There was a 2nd impression for Morgoths Ring; no later impressions though i.e. no 3rd of 4th etc)

BH

Posted on: 2008/3/2 3:45

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Thanks for all the detailed information, it really helps to know what exactly to look for! As i have said tolkienbooks.net is an amazing place for a reference point or more detailed research. Is there a website similar to this one for US Tolkien works?

Posted on: 2008/3/3 20:06

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
(Without running the risk of endangering Deagol's head! ) I think it's safe & accurate to state that Tolkienbooks.net is one of the most comprehensive sources (book or otherwise) on the specific bibliographical area that it has chosen to focus on. Namely, documenting textual and physical changes to editions (or impressions) of Tolkien's work.

The very fact that it is online makes it measurably more accessible when your browsing the internet for books; the alternative being to pick up your (treasured) copy of Hammond's Bibliography. And we can't have that...

BH

Posted on: 2008/3/4 6:25

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have to agree with Khamul's comments on this.

Deagol has done a fantastic job of documenting the UK books and to do the same for the US editions would involve two things.

1 - Actually having all the books in one collection.
2 - Spending many hundreds of hours documenting them on a web site.

So for these two reasons I think it is unlikely that a web site as comprehensive as Deagol's will exist for US books.

Here is the link that Khamul forgot to insert for The Holford Collection... in his previous post in case you have not seen it.

In the meantime this site does have quite a lot of information on US Editions.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 10:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]