Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Feb, 2022
2022-2-24 12:51:01 PM UTC
“She’s full of piss and vinegar and she’s got a sword that’s broken because she’s killed so many orcs,” McKay says of their version. “

I suppose snorting derisively makes me a gatekeeper.
24 Feb, 2022
2022-2-24 1:00:57 PM UTC

northman wrote:

“She’s full of piss and vinegar and she’s got a sword that’s broken because she’s killed so many orcs,” McKay says of their version. “

You're a RAGING anti-urinist.
25 Feb, 2022
2022-2-25 1:40:49 AM UTC

northman wrote:

Even the seven gates of Gondolin weren't enough to keep Melko out.
25 Feb, 2022
2022-2-25 10:24:18 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

No doubt though, Tolkien's legacy will be packaged for the masses, laden with endless crappy merchandise and environmentally disastrous. The movies were bad enough for generating "polystone" landfill.

The environmental impact is very concerning and doesn't seem to get enough attention. There needs to be more accountability. Ironic, given how much Tolkien cared for nature.

Something deeply troubling for me (and I don't mean to get political) are the massive tax rebates and subsidies granted to multibillion dollar corporations for the "benefit" of having them film in a particular country. I hope it at least results in a net gain for those countries in the long run.
25 Feb, 2022 (edited)
2022-2-25 11:15:34 PM UTC
Read this the other day about filming locations and impact on the local economies.

https://www.ncta.com/whats-new/tv-show ... boosting-americas-economy

Not to mention the after affects of tourism to locations if the production enters the zeitgeist like the Jackson Films and all the tourism to New Zealand it's driven.
27 Feb, 2022
2022-2-27 1:25:59 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Read this the other day about filming locations and impact on the local economies.

https://www.ncta.com/whats-new/tv-show ... boosting-americas-economy

Not to mention the after affects of tourism to locations if the production enters the zeitgeist like the Jackson Films and all the tourism to New Zealand it's driven.

It's an interesting article. No doubt filming on-site brings economic activity to the place. I suppose whether it is enough to offset massive tax relief depends on several factors and has to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Amazon supposedly got over $100m in tax rebates to film one season of their LOTR show in NZ (source: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/4 ... lord-of-the-rings-filming). I hope New Zealanders get their money's worth.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us