Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Nov, 2008
2008-11-13 5:35:28 AM UTC
I have ordered my copy today from the HC web site which has just been relaunched at www.tolkien.co.uk
13 Nov, 2008
2008-11-13 5:52:48 AM UTC
Yes, I just ordered mine successfully after having a failed attempt this morning (total failure - I don't think they had finished deploying it because it wasn't possible to complete a transaction at that point).

I actually sent them a list of bugs after my first attempt (countries not alpha ordered, was defaulting country to "Malta", could not get past address details to the worldpay screen).

It does say "beta" on it to be fair, though I've never heard of a company putting a beta version of an e-commerce site out in the real world before...

Stu
13 Nov, 2008
2008-11-13 7:58:13 AM UTC
Same here... When I ordered yesterday midday I was unable to get through the order process mysef. For the rest I feel there is not much info in the shop. I notice in the Harper Collins backend that there will be multiple books reserved for the new shop, but somehow it seems suggestive that they are either not there (like sets of companion and guide, signed??) or they still need to come...
13 Nov, 2008
2008-11-13 9:12:44 AM UTC
I still get an "Under construction" message.

wellinghall
13 Nov, 2008
2008-11-13 5:57:00 PM UTC
Beren said, "They will be for sale thru tolkien.co.uk, but don't know if you can buy more then one copy or that they will be available outside the UK. "

I am in the US and I can confirm that i was unable to purchase the Deluxe TPR from Tolkien.co.uk because, "The item cannot be shipped to the country listed." I am not sure if it can be shipped outside the UK and just not to the United States, however.

I can, apparently, buy the Super Deluxe CoH, but I already have a couple of those. Unfortunately, my Oxford contact is no longer there to have the signed TPR delivered. Oh well, there is always ebay.
15 Nov, 2008
2008-11-15 9:05:48 AM UTC
The website is meant to be launched properly next week, I believe on Tuesday the 18th, which is why no emails have been sent yet.

However, looking at the website as it currently stands, I am very disappointed as it certainly does not have all the currently available HC Tolkien offerings on it.

Where are this years calendar and diary, what about the new paperback Silmarillion, etc. ?

I am not sure what HC are trying to achieve with this site, Amazon has a much better selection and in nearly all cases are cheaper than this web site, so the only items I would buy are 'exclusive' items and they had them on the old site.
16 Nov, 2008
2008-11-16 3:32:44 PM UTC
Is there going to be anything different between this signed 'exclusive' deluxe, and the normal deluxe?; besides the signed page. I'm wondering whether to bother keeping my order for the 'normal' deluxe, on Amazon, standing or not.

I agree, this site offers nothing at present (besides the promise of these exclusives) that Amazon doesn't; besides slightly higher prices...

BH
16 Nov, 2008
2008-11-16 9:02:52 PM UTC
>Is there going to be anything different between this signed 'exclusive'
>deluxe, and the normal deluxe?; besides the signed page. I'm wondering
>whether to bother keeping my order for the 'normal' deluxe, on Amazon,
>standing or not.

The only difference is that it will be signed and numbered by Alan Lee. Other than the hand-writing will be identical and twenty pounds more expensive than Amazon. For the sake of the extra GBP20, I would say it's probably worth getting a signed copy, but I wouldn't be paying much more than that - especially as Alan Lee signs so many books at events, anyway.

With regards to keeping your Amazon order open, I cancelled mine...:)

Stu
19 Nov, 2008
2008-11-19 1:10:53 PM UTC
Just received my copy of the book.

The FAQ on the http://tolkien.co.uk/Footer/Pages/FAQ.aspx website states that the book is signed and numbered by Alan Lee but this is not the case, it is only signed (not numbered) by Alan Lee on the title page.

It is identical to the other current editions but a light green colour and has a red, gold and silver foil motif designed by Alan Lee on the front cover.
19 Nov, 2008
2008-11-19 5:21:15 PM UTC
Great to hear you got your book, Trotter. One question... Does it happen to have the nice hand-cut hole on the side like the Hobbit and LotR had, or is it solid like the CoH and Silmarillion?

Also, would love to see photos! I am afraid I must wait for my copy as I am stuck getting the Amazon version since Tolkien.co.uk will not ship this one to the U.S.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us