Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 11:32:10 PM UTC
Hi Wayne & Christina,

I have emailled yourself and Steve several times over the past few years, but never got a response, yea or nea. The articles have been unavailable for quite some time and I get a steady trickle of queries about identifying early printings. Rather than send people away with a sorry can't help answer, it just seems more useful to let them have a shortened version of the guides. Once you have TC back in print I will of course point people in your direction to obtain back issues.

If having the text here is a problem I am sure that Jeremy will delete/edit as required.
1 Dec, 2008
2008-12-1 11:54:10 PM UTC
Purely tongue in cheek Findegil!

I was (jokingly) going to query whether this fell under 'fair use' Deagol!; but it seems probably not...

BH
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 6:51:29 AM UTC
Deagol, although we admit to not being the best of correspondents over the past few years, while finishing complicated books and household renovations and dealing with health issues, according to our files we've happily answered a number of your messages, none of which (that we received, anyway) was a request to post a version of Steve's guides. (Of course, we can't speak for Steve, who we know has moved house and jobs in recent years and is relatively less active in Tolkien circles.) In any case, neither the lack of a reply nor the fact that something is temporarily out of print is justification for posting copyrighted material without permission to a public site, as opposed to private communication. The privilege of putting Steve's articles on the Web, if it were to be done, should be his, and ours.

Khamul, we did take your comment as tongue in cheek. We get a lot of requests for back issues -- just about every new subscriber wants the complete set (oh, these collectors!) -- and will honour them as soon as possible. Since the Tolkien Collector went on hiatus at the end of 2002, we've changed computer hardware and software, and our original setup became functionally obsolete. So Wayne is having to shift and revise all of the files, which takes time but will make reprinting much easier when it's all done.

Wayne & Christina
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 7:00:35 AM UTC
Sorry Findegil and Deagol,

I meant to follow up on this faster. The material in this thread is currently offline. Moving to email to discuss further.

Jeremy
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 12:15:46 PM UTC
That's alrighty then! With that cold blue coloured quotation, I was imagining an angry Hammond banging away on his keyboard! (-did you ever have a Hammond typewriter before computers?...)

...But if the software has to change (perhaps with format changes); mabey different paper too; and these were always going to be 'reprints'; that means these back issues are really going to be second state! ( ) What's a collector to do!?

oh, these collectors! Yeh! I wonder what kind of people encourage these kind of folk! Publishing magazines and books of publishing and printing minutiae; feeding their secret vice...

BH
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 3:31:52 PM UTC
Well, I did find my copy of the Fellowship. It would appear (if I followed correctly) that I have a 5th impression. Thanks again for the help, although I feel a little bad for my contribution to provoking potential copyright violations. Don't worry, though. I already shredded all of the copies I ran off. (just kidding)

I certainly respect other people's work. Those kinds of publications are invaluable to the collecting community and greatly appreciated. Also, I am one of the people who, regardless of what has been shown here, would certainly still be purchasing back issues. Looking forward to their availability.
2 Dec, 2008
2008-12-2 6:50:32 PM UTC
Hello Wayne and Christina,

Many apologies to you (and Steve too if he is reading) for treading on toes and quoting too extensively. I hope that you can forgive my over-enthusiasm on this occasion. It is only a wish to help out fellow collectors that drives it.

Best regards.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us