Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Re: Tales from the Perilous Realm Deluxe
Just can't stay away
From Tolkien Society Unquendor in the Netherlands
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Khamul, what Beren said on another forum (it was a Dutch one), related to my main reason for complaining to HC, namely that The LotR Poster Collection wasn't included in the package. I only added the numbering issue in support of everyone here.

Beren pointed out that the books had been mailed from Sweden (in his case, but mine also were) and added (slightly jocularly) that I should expect the posters to come from Italy. So I decided to wait a couple of days for a second package before phoning. So, no secret at all, but nothing relating to the 'limited numbered edition' issue.

With regard to the latter, I think we can rely on Beren to take up the matter with David Brawn and Alan Lee.

I still have difficulty to take myself seriously as a collector, and I don't really care that much about this issue to become angry. However, I still think HC have come a cropper over this, and I'm behind you in trying to get some acknowledgment out of them. I'd like to see what is going to happen.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 9:05

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Being in the US, the signed version was not available to me, so I do not share the same problem with many of you (my book not being 'numbered,' that is). However, I just received my standard deluxe copy from Amazon. It is a nice book, but I even have complaints about this version. It really doesn't quite match the other four deluxe books done in this style. The spine shape is not as rounded as the older ones (it is much flatter with more square edges). At first I thought the spine shape might be due to it being a thicker book than say 'Hobbit' or CoH, but even the very thick LotR from this Deluxe series has a more rounded spine. Also, the slipcase is not trimmed and glued the same way on the inside edge. It looks like this slipcase could come undone more easily around the inner edge (over time). After closer inspection, it appears that HC did indeed change binderies for this book. The old ones were done at L.E.G.O. Spa (Italy), while this one was done at Clays Ltd, St. Ives.

I guess these are pretty minor complaints and I am probably being too scrutinizing. Being an engineer, I tend to be anal about details such as this. When these five books are sitting next to each other, and one doesn't quite fit, it bothers me. This has been the case for years and years, even going back to early first editions of LotR (where the FotR was a different height than the other two), and as with those, I will get over it. The need for HC to change binderies from time to time is 'bound' to happen (no pun intended). Such is the nature of the publishing world, contracts, costs, etc.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 7:39

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
This has been the case for years and years, even going back to early first editions of LotR (where the FotR was a different height than the other two),

- ah, those were the days! I guess you're talking about the Allen & Unwin FotRs? This problem is not all that common; I know of only two examples. These are the 1st ed. 2nd imp. of Dec. 1954; and the 1st ed. 7th imp. of October 1957. The 1/2 was printed by Jarrolds, as usual; but the 1/7 was printed by Purnell and Son of Paulton (Somerset) and London.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 13:49

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
www.tolkien.co.uk is back again, hardly any difference from before, but the FAQ has changed indicating that the books are not numbered.

Does seem odd that a whole site has to be taken down for a couple of weeks to change a couple of pictures and a couple of lines of text.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 22:54

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
This is old information since others have already posted similar news, but I wanted to share the official response I got from HC on the signed Tales book:

"Dear Jeremy - I'm very sorry for the confusion caused about the book. I can confirm it is not a numbered edition - it is simply signed by Alan Lee. Please accept our apologies for any confusion caused - the appropriate Hobbit will be dealt with accordingly.

Best regards

Chris Michaels
Publishing Brand Manager
HarperCollins"

Posted on: 2008/12/15 13:17

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.