« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1982 Super Deluxe Silmarillion Question
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Yes, there may not have been 1000 bound; but not 100 signed? How come one proud owner (Deagol) has a signed #91?

BH

Posted on: 2008/12/12 11:39

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I am also struggling with this.

GA&U contracted with Christopher Tolkien to sign 100 copies of the book, but did not follow through with that. The signed copies would sell more easily than the other copies, so why would they not have done this? I would think that we know that at least 100 signed copies exist.

I am really interested now to know exactly how many signed and non-signed copies were sold.

Anyone know how we can find out?

alpingloin Thanks for starting this topic

Posted on: 2008/12/12 13:54

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I think I started this topic mostly out of my frustration trying to obtain a copy for myself. I would love to get my hands on one, but I don't see myself ever being able to justify paying $2000+.

Also, Trotter, I am not sure why I never got this before, but I think I finally understand your screen name. Does it have anything to do with Strider?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 7:16

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Indeed it does. I assumed that the regular members of this board would all know where the name Trotter comes from, having all read the History of Middle-Earth volumes that deal with the History of the Lord of the Rings.

Although I use this name I am glad that Tolkien changed the character to Strider, I don't think a Hobbit Ranger who wore boots has the same gravitas as Strider does in the finished book.

Andrew

Posted on: 2008/12/15 10:23

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Well, I must confess to not having read 'The History of Middle Earth,' in its entirety. I have only gotten through pieces of it, but enough to have known of 'Trotter.' It is a clever screen name and I like it. Mine is bit more lame, however. Growing up in the Rocky Mountains, and loving the sunsets and 'alpinglow' that you get on the mountain sides in the evening is what led to my name. I really have no particular affection for the Dwarves, but 'Gloin' just sort of fit.

Anyway, it is indeed funny to think of a Hobbit Ranger named 'Trotter,' with the clickety-clack sound of his wooden shoes, fighting off wraiths at Weathertop. What about the name, 'Fosco?'

Posted on: 2008/12/15 11:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]