Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Jan, 2009
2009-1-7 2:22:06 AM UTC
The HarperCollins saga continues...

I will have say that the forementioned ".. dismal state of HarperCollins" must extend well beyond their web site. I received word today from a very exasperated friend, who after much struggle just received his long awaited Tales from the Perilous Realm Deluxe Limited Edition Signed Copies. After HC receiving payment for the order, all record of my friend's order just up and vanished. After succeeding emails and much dialog between he and HC Customer Service, the lost order was sorted out and his book order was posted to him. After a rather pensive wait filled with much apprehension his long awaited order arrived... ONLY to discover the books he received were not at all the Limited Signed Edition which he had ordered, but rather the regular Unsigned Deluxe editions.

At this posting the situation is yet unresolved...

TT
9 Jan, 2009
2009-1-9 11:06:02 AM UTC
I've just had an email from them offering 30% off, and decided this was the time to buy. The email claimed this would make the book £40 ... but the actual cost (£60 - 30%) is, of course, £42. Can't they even do simple arithmetic?

And they're still using WorldPay. Can't they even get their own payment system set up?

Worst of all, I think, are the increasing discounts on the super deluxe Children of Hurin ... which are hardly going to encourage an early take-up of future offers.

/rant

- wellinghall
10 Jan, 2009
2009-1-10 11:52:15 PM UTC
I predicted 30-40% discounting would be required to shift the remainder of the signed copies of CoH, so I guess I was correct. I think the current price of GBP 245 now seems quite good for a quality CT signed book and they might just get those remaining copies sold (economy permitting)

I'm glad that they are discounting via the vouchers, rather than via reducing the RRP as it helps prevent a reduction in the perceived value of the book.

Stu
11 Jan, 2009
2009-1-11 9:52:57 AM UTC
I noticed on Tolkien Forums that another person ordered the signed edition of the book, but was actually sent the unsigned version.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us