Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

CoH Bookplates from UK Waterstones Launch: Quality?

16 Feb, 2009
2009-2-16 11:21:38 AM UTC

I know this was widely discussed at the time; but having trawled back thro' the threads there are unfortunately no images of bookplates, suspected forgeries etc imbedded in the threads.

Can anyone with their own bookplated UK CoH (especially the standards hardback) comment (or even better post an image) on the positioning of Christopher's signature on the bookplate & the print quality of the border and helm.

I've just bought a copy from a reputible dealer; but I want to check this out now while I still have the opportunity to return it.

In this copy the signature looks fine, and is positioned in the top left corner. It is solid black, and even under a magnifying glass there is no sign of any break up in the colour.

But having not seen the bookplate itself in any other copies, I'm a little worried about its appearance. The border is grey. On examination with a magnifying glass it is cleary (like I'd imagine all copied images) made up of horizontal black lines; which are themselves made of strings of little back dots.

The helm is certainly black, but nowhere near as black as the signature. Under a magnifying glass (this is even visible with the naked eye if you look closely) the black areas of the helm (e.g. like the celtic-like motif on the jaw part of the helm) are clearly made from (again) horizontal black lines; uniformely black this time, no dotting. It measure ~26mm (the helm) at its longest point i.e. from the very point of the jaw part to the spikes on the dragons back.

Can anyone confirm whether this is indeed how the bookplate appears in their copy? I'd imagine that the genuine bookplates are in themselves not of the best of quality. But, does anyone remember how good/bad suspected fakes were? I expected the helm to be a lot darker & blacker than the copy I have appears. The photographs don't really capture what I'm describing that well. (The helm photo has actually come out quite poor.)

Also where is the bookplate positioned in UK St. Hb copies? In my copy it is on the grey endpaper, not on the half-title page as I have seen in some copies. I can't remember the details at the time hence all the questions. I know for fact that Trotter was at the Waterstones UK launch!

Information sought.

BH

125_49994abf1d13c.jpg 2016X1512 px

125_49994af54204f.jpg 2016X1512 px
16 Feb, 2009
2009-2-16 6:16:11 PM UTC
Your copy of the book-plate is the same as the two that I have, one in a Standard Copy and one in Deluxe Copy, my copies were both bought directly from Waterstones on the first day of issue.

The US copies have the book-plate on the half-title page of the book (under The Children of Húrin), with Christopher's signature in the top left hand corned, Alan Lee signed in the bottom right corner.

It was intended that the same thing happen at the UK Launch, so again Christopher's signature is in the top left hand corner, in pretty much the same place on both my copies. Waterstone's staff stuck in the stickers on the day, which is how they got into Deluxe Books as well as Trade Editions and I suspect that they were meant to stick them onto the half-title Page like the US copies, but they did not. All UK copies are stuck on the grey end-paper at the very start of the book, round about in the middle of the page.

Alan Lee also signed some of the book-plates, but I asked him to sign in his customary signing position under and too the right of "Illustrated by Alan Lee" on the title page. You don't mention Alan's signature but it should also be signed by him, either on the book-plate or title page as he signed every copy with a book-plate.

Your description of the book-plate corresponds with both of mine, the fake bookplates were scanned or photocopied and as such are less clear. The signature in particular is a very sharp black ink signature in the real book-plates and is not the same when copied.

Andrew
16 Feb, 2009
2009-2-16 6:31:53 PM UTC
My plate sounds the same too. The AL sig is on the title page is dated.

Here is an image
16 Feb, 2009
2009-2-16 6:35:26 PM UTC
Alan Lee did not date my copies on the title page as I did not ask him to do that, he would have if asked.
17 Feb, 2009
2009-2-17 10:52:17 AM UTC
Thank you Trotter & Deagol!

I was just a little apprehensive having not seen the bookplate in the flesh. When you look at my (wide) photograph, the helm looks very strikingly black; but that's not what it actually looks like to the eye (the digital camera does not truly capture the image that accurately.) You have put my mind at rest tho'; and, Deagol, I eventually got that UK standard hardback I was holding out for!

In respect to AL signature as well, I just didn't mention it; wanting to concentrate on the bookplate detail. AL has signed it in his customary manner (with 17-4-2007 date) on the title page.

Trotter, you seem to imply that AL signed (or at least went out of his way) to sign all bookplated copies; is this right? I take it you mean that everybody chose to get AL to sign, rather than the event conditions making it (almost) mandatory for him to do so? It beggars the question of why they did not just get AL to pre-sign the UK (destined) bookplates as well (like the US bookplates.) Yes, its nice to see him sign in person; but in the event he could not attend, they'd be left with no AL signature at all.

Did (Trotter) many people just get bookplated copies, with no AL signature? To be honest I didn't want a copy with Bernard Hill's signature; since he has nothing what so ever to do with the book. Would have loved (any) copy with Adam Tolkien's signature as well. I heard (a listing implied he only signed two copies) he signed very few copies at the event. Did you not consider asking? And of course David Brawn was also in attendance...

Cheers!

BH
17 Feb, 2009
2009-2-17 7:26:22 PM UTC
It was very regimented, when you went into the store they (Harper-Collins staff and Waterstone's staff) asked which books you wanted to buy (people early in the queue could get two books), I got both editions. You then queued to see Alan Lee who signed the book, you then went to the checkout.

Waterstones were discounting the books on that day as well, have checked the receipt and my copy of the Trade edition signed by Christopher Tolkien & Alan Lee was £15 (reduced from £18.99)

Originally only the first 50 copies of the Trade Edition were meant to have the book-plate but this was overturned on the day, which is good as it enabled me to get the Deluxe Edition as well.

I left at about 1pm, having got up at 3am to get there so did not see Bernard Hill at all, no huge loss to me as he has nothing to do with the books. I did see Alan Lee, David Brawn and Adam Tolkien though but have no idea how many editions they signed.

I suspect that Adam did not sign many, as he did seem uncomfortable at the event, he said very little in the Q&A, most of the questions were answered by Alan & David. I got into trouble as I asked most of the questions. He did not look keen to sign bookplates.
18 Feb, 2009
2009-2-18 8:09:46 PM UTC
I couldn't make it to the book launch, but a friend of mine went, and got Alan Lee's sig. on the bookplate (and Alan signed to me personally on the title page). Adam Tolkien also kindly signed. Adam and Alan also signed my copy of the Waterstone's magazine, on p.49 - 'Tolkien's Swansong'.

I'm sure I must have bought my friend a drink on the strength of that...

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us