(1) 2 3 4 ... 16 »

Super-Deluxe Sigurd & Gudrun
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hello All,

I was just wondering what people think about the Deluxe signed version of S&G being slated as 500 copies, as per CoH? I had hoped that HC would have learned some lessons from the signed CoH and gone with a more sensible 250 copies.

I must admit, other than to maybe order a single copy up front to get a low number, I can't see myself ordering two upfront as with CoH (and then a further one at 30% discount later on), knowing that as a non-ME book it is possibly even more likely to be a difficult-to-shift volume (and therefore be discounted).

Sounds like it's going to be GBP250 rather than GBP350, but that's still a tidy sum in the current environment. I'm not sure that so many people will be prepared to commit early for multiple copies, so this could be a bit of a sales dud...

Stu

Posted on: 2009/2/22 1:47

Re: Super-Deluxe Sigurd & Gudrun
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I think this book appeals to a smaller market than the Super-Deluxe COH. So to sell 500 copies without heavy discounting could well be impossible for Harper Collins.

The fact that they have a track record now of offering large discounts on the online store, means that people like me who would have bought two copies, will buy one when it comes out and wait for the discount for the second copy, but if it was limited to 250 copies I would buy two at full price.

I hope they remember to ask the artist or Christopher Tolkien to number the copies this time as well.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 1:57

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
>The fact that they have a track record now of offering large discounts on the online store, means that people like me who would have bought two copies, will buy one when it comes out and wait for the discount for the second copy, but if it was limited to 250 copies I would buy two at full price.

That was exactly my thinking. I just don't see this book as being particularly popular, and perhaps it isn't the best vehicle for a super-deluxe version. The fact that it is verse coupled with being non-ME related will make it a disappointing read for many. Add to that the fact that a lot of people felt that CoH was not great and will probably not jump at another Tolkien volume in the same way as they did for that one.

Stu

Posted on: 2009/2/22 4:00

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Personally, I'm quite looking forward to this release; primarily in terms of content.

In terms of price; if HarperCollins think they can shift 500 copies, at (say) £350 (even if it's over a few years), then that will probably be what they'll plumb for. CoH, with all the discounting has shifted. But it hardly does HarperCollins any good (as David Brawn alluded to) to flood the market with Super Deluxe signed Tolkien titles.

I think a run of 250, with the £350 tag would work for HarperCollins. Collectors would obviously prefer a 250 run with a £250 price tag. CoH with discount (30%) was available at £245; & this was even more favourable for US buyers -so I think £250 would be fair, considering the non-ME nature of the subject.

We'll see...

BH

Posted on: 2009/2/24 13:04

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
No matter what price tag this book ends up with, I will probably buy just a single copy for myself when they go on deep enough discount and not bother with extra copies. The signature from Christopher will be the main draw to Tolkien collectors, and there are plenty of those available for a few hundred dollars right now. I can see this book still selling on the secondary market for a few hundred dollars (probably below list) for at least 10-20 years - this is assuming they stick to the 500 copies. If they want this to generate some hype, they would have to limit it to 100 copies like the original signed deluxe Silmarillion, or perhaps even 50 copies.

I'm still ticked over the bad website operations, dropping prices, "limited" editions that are indistinguishable from trade editions, and selling wholesale to some and not others. Why pay full retail now?

Posted on: 2009/2/24 15:59

(1) 2 3 4 ... 16 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]