Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Sep, 2023
2023-9-12 8:24:30 PM UTC
Here are the listings for the William Morrow Beren&Luthien and Fall of Gondolin to match

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

Beren and Lúthien (U.S. PB)

William Morrow Paperbacks (2024-02-20)

$17.39 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$17.29 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£unknown Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: unknown
€18.88 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
$12.59 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$16.87 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

The Fall of Gondolin (U.S. PB)

William Morrow Paperbacks (2024-02-20)

$17.48 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$15.19 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£41.86 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€18.88 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
$12.59 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$15.89 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
13 Sep, 2023 (edited)
2023-9-13 12:27:54 PM UTC

Translating The Hobbit: Into Afrikaans, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Frisian, German, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, ... Sorbian, Swedish, Ukrainian, and Yiddish

Independently published (2023-04-04)

$14.95 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£12.04 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€14.68 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now

Actually not an "upcoming book". The preview pages look interesting. And I learnt Jane Neave's Bag End was recorded as "Bag End House" in Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society, new series Vol 3, 1927. And it can be traced back to at least 1763.

5215_6501aa4e4c4ec.png 575X92 px
13 Sep, 2023
2023-9-13 10:16:18 PM UTC
C.S. Lewis's Oxford (Hardcover) due 3 Jun. 2024 from the Bodleian.

The fantastical fictional land of Narnia, famously reached via a magical wardrobe, has many connections to the world in which its creator C.S. Lewis lived. The influence of Oxford can be seen not only in medieval buildings and towers but also in the literature which Lewis encountered there, through a lifetime’s reading and teaching of classical, medieval and renaissance literature. This book examines the role Oxford, its colleges, libraries, chapels, clubs, common rooms and pubs, played in fostering the work of one of the twentieth century’s most influential writers and thinkers. It brings to light a number of new archival discoveries, including letters, tutorial reports and even an unpublished poem, as well as offering new insights into Lewis’s Oxford life, his transition to Cambridge, his Christian faith and his global influence today. It also takes a fresh look at his extensive involvement in Oxford’s various clubs and societies, including the Coalbiters, the Socratic Club and, of course, the Inklings, whose distinguished members coalesced around him and his great friend, J.R.R. Tolkien. Written by an expert in medieval literature who teaches at Magdalen College, where Lewis himself taught, this book, illustrated with letters, manuscripts and Oxford landmarks, helps us understand the author of the Narnia stories and of The Screwtape Letters as a student, scholar and teacher in greater depth.

This sounds very interesting and will no doubt be a worthwhile read for many of us here.

C.S. Lewis's Oxford

Bodleian Library (2024-06-13)

$34.25 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 48 hours
$45.00 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
£25.64 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€37.50 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Preorderable
£32.88 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$53.09 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

4446_65023473299c3.jpg 279X428 px
28 Sep, 2023
2023-9-28 2:15:33 AM UTC
Eric Reinders, Reading Tolkien in Chinese: Religion, Fantasy and Translation (Perspectives on Fantasy)

Reading Tolkien in Chinese

Bloomsbury Academic (2024-04-18)

$84.95 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks
$115.00 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£78.21 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€106.50 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$127.21 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$115.05 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
28 Oct, 2023
2023-10-28 2:32:24 AM UTC

The History of Middle-earth Box Set #2: The Lays of Beleriand / The Shaping of Middle-earth / The Lost Road (The History of Middle-earth Box Sets, 2)

William Morrow (2024-05-14)

$70.75 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$90.00 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Preorderable
€78.00 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Preorderable
$75.74 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$82.95 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

The Maps of Middle-earth: From Númenor and Beleriand to Wilderland and Middle-earth (US)

William Morrow (2024-04-09)

$26.43 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$23.99 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£44.16 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€29.82 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$19.81 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$18.00 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
28 Oct, 2023
2023-10-28 6:54:28 AM UTC
I think the Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth is a re-release of the John Howe maps with commentary by Brian Sibley. Brian said that this was happening.
15 Nov, 2023
2023-11-15 4:08:39 AM UTC
To be reissued on June 4, 2024

The Inklings

HarperCollins (2006-01-02)

£10.99 HarperCollins (Paperback) - Availability: Click to check
$11.99 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$16.86 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Preorderable
£8.99 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€13.71 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
£1.85 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$12.19 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
£3.50 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check
27 Nov, 2023 (edited)
2023-11-27 3:10:28 AM UTC
Thanks to David Haden's blog I've seen this two-volume series on Tolkien by Peter Critchley called J.R.R. Tolkien: Tales for Our Times was released this month:

Volume 1:

J.R.R. TOLKIEN : TALES FOR OUR TIMES: VOLUME 1 ART, NOT POWER

Independently published (2023-11-15)

$23.00 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£25.00 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€31.34 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now

Volume 2:

J.R.R. Tolkien: Tales for Our Times: Volume 2: Fellowship and Flourishing

Independently published (2023-11-16)

$32.36 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£26.00 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€32.59 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now

I would be curious to know if anyone knows anything about these books? They seem to be self-published, but, needless to say, a combined 800+ pages of self-published work is not usually the norm. Typically, self-published books of analysis are in the 100-250 pages range. Reasonable prices for the number of pages, but I'm always hesitant to buy when I have no clue as to the quality of the content.
27 Nov, 2023
2023-11-27 3:50:33 AM UTC

Tuor son of Huor wrote:

Thanks to David Haden's blog I've seen this two-volume series on Tolkien by Peter Critchley called J.R.R. Tolkien: Tales for Our Times was released this month:

Volume 1: https://www.amazon.com/J-R-R-TOLKIEN-T ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

Volume 2: https://www.amazon.com/J-R-R-Tolkien-T ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

I would be curious to know if anyone knows anything about these books? They seem to be self-published, but, needless to say, a combined 800+ pages of self-published work is not usually the norm. Typically, self-published books of analysis are in the 100-250 pages range. Reasonable prices for the number of pages, but I'm always hesitant to buy when I have no clue as to the quality of the content.

I haven't heard of these before, so thanks for the mention at the very least!

Here is the author biography from Amazon:
Peter Critchley is a PhD philosopher and historian who has spent the past quarter of a century examining the nexus of Being and Place in all its manifold dimensions. He is an intellectual range-rider whose research interests combine breadth and depth across the fields to offer an integral philosophy for living. He has written on philosophy, ethics, politics, economics, technics, social theory, literature, ecology, spirituality, nature, the city, music, art and psychology.

Peter is also an advocate for autism acceptance. His 'Writing Voice' publication venue honours the struggles of those who, confronted by challenges in social communication and interaction, turn to other modes of expression in order to liberate their inner potentials.

In this expansive body of work, Peter seeks to establish the conditions for fellowship and flourishing in the world.

From that, and due to not having run across Peter Critchley before in Tolkien studies, I am of the personal opinion that these books are using Tolkien as a framework for his ideas, rather than being something that adds to Tolkien scholarship. Still could be interesting to someone, but I will definitely wait to hear a recommendation from someone I trust before I buy these myself.

7 Dec, 2023
2023-12-7 5:38:17 AM UTC

The Hobbit A Graphic Novel

William Morrow Paperbacks (2024-02-28)

$20.34 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$18.40 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£37.49 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€22.88 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
$13.28 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us