Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 7:18:37 PM UTC

Lake Town Geezer wrote:

There are two for sale on eBay at present - they have been there a few months I think.

I could never part with mine. I often just find myself looking at them in awe - hours, days, years of entertainment await.

Can you provide links to the two for sale? Are they originals (which I cannot find) or limited prints (which I found a handful of)?
29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 7:23:49 PM UTC
Originals Uruloke:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: soabooks
(61)
Ended Jan 15, 2024
This item ended more than 90 days ago

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: soabooks
(61)
Ended Jan 15, 2024
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Maybe only available to UK buyers?
29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 7:25:52 PM UTC
Thanks! You are right, they are blocked from my searches (even when I set all the filters correctly) on ebay.com. I can only see them if I specifically go to ebay.co.uk and search there due to the shipping settings from the seller.
29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 7:27:33 PM UTC
You might have to fly over to the UK to get them, or maybe ask Trotter to kindly pick them up?
29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 8:12:49 PM UTC
Isn't that maddending? Same for me. I cannot see them in any way on ebay.com or picclick, only if I go to ebay.co.uk.
Thanks for these. Both have been for sale for some time. This is the seller I got the Smaug from. And i think the longer these sit unsold the higher the price becomes :)

edit: the situation with ebay is even worse. I can click the link below but when I select the seller's other items I only get a list of 7 books and neither painting. I have no idea why but assume it has to do with a shipping restriction.
29 Nov, 2023
2023-11-29 8:19:47 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:

edit: the situation with ebay is even worse. I can click the link below but when I select the seller's other items I only get a list of 7 books and neither painting. I have no idea why but assume it has to do with a shipping restriction.

It's entirely to do with shipping as determined by eBay from where your IP address used to log in is located.
30 Nov, 2023
2023-11-30 8:28:34 AM UTC
Imagine when your base Ebay is not .com or .co.uk but... ebay.fr
30 Nov, 2023
2023-11-30 11:29:56 AM UTC
Eep: those are more than I was thinking.

When I hear ‘print’ I think of the mass produced ones artists have on sale at comic cons for like around $40 (or the same type that came in those print sets in the ‘90s from HarperCollins).
30 Nov, 2023 (edited)
2023-11-30 6:53:08 PM UTC
I can highly recommend the prints from the Ted Nasmith Art Shop:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057206606678

These are the official and limited signed prints (not unauthorised copies). I have purchased just one so far - but I am 100% happy with it. The paper and print quality are excellent. Signed and numbered. They are the same size as the original paintings usually. Ted paints in gouache - really thin layers I am guessing applied over layer after layer (I am no expert, but this is what it looks like to me - the main difference with an original painting vs. a print is the apparent density of the paint, with some areas very thin others quite layered in the original it seems to me anyway). Otherwise, I can hardly tell the difference between a print and a painting at first glance TBH: Colour reproduction looks excellent to my untrained eye. I plan to buy a print of a painting I actually own to do a side by side close comparison.
30 Nov, 2023
2023-11-30 8:24:35 PM UTC
Oh without a doubt! These are definitely the real thing and are copies in ‘painting’ form as opposed to mass-produced (yet authorized) prints that are done up for conventions etc.

My mind goes somewhere else when I think of ‘art print’ that’s all haha .
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us