Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Hobbit "ratelves" typo question [List of Illustrations]
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I had someone ask for some research help and can't find my sources offhand - hopefully someone here can assist more?

Original question:

Hi,
not having a copy of the Hammond & Anderson bibliography, I'm hoping someone can tell me about the typo in The Hobbit, List of Illustrations, 'Ratelves' for 'Raftelves' - was this in the first edition, and how long did it go on for before being corrected? I assume the early editions were not completely re-set?

From Hammond's Bibliography (~p. 15) - the Raft Elves image appeared in the 2nd impression only of the UK edition (no color plates in 1st impression, no plates in 3rd or fourth impressions). Not enough information on the US impressions - no mention of the "rat-elves" that I could find. I do recall reading up on this - maybe in a Tolkien Collector article?

Posted on: 2009/7/7 10:01

Edited by Khaml on 2013/4/24 13:09:08

Re: Hobbit "ratelves" typo question
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
This was around for a long time, in my UK (listed as Sixth impression 1971) Hardback Hobbit if you look at the page Listing the Illustrations in the book (this is the only place it occurs and it is right at the start of the book), it is described as "Bilbo comes to the huts of the Ratelves".

The actual illustration is correct as Tolkien wrote the text on the picture. It is corrected in the UK 1978 edition, so was probably fixed in the middle of the seventies in the UK, may still have continued in US editions though.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 10:25

Quite a regular
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
My tenth Impression 1975 Hobbit (UK) still has the "ratelves" misprint so it looks as if the 1978 is the first with the correction.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 13:19

Just can't stay away
From Tolkien Society Unquendor in the Netherlands
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The Hammond & Anderson Bibliography implies (p. 40) that the misprint 'Ratelves' was introduced with the 'third edition' (A&U) of 1966, presumably with its first printing, which was identified as 'sixteenth printing' overall (p. 39). It also states the error was continued in the "new 'eighth impression'" of 1974, which was reset (p. 58).

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:54

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks all, I just couldn't find what I was looking for in Hammond's biblio - need to get my glasses checked I guess. Also thanks for the other data points on your copies. Much appreciated!

Posted on: 2009/7/8 10:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]