12 hours 1 minute ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 3 Tolkien Letters to Higgins
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Tolkien's personal stationary was Basildon Bond for many years (during late 50's and 60's and possibly later).

I'm interested in anything and everything about Tolkien - I hadn't heard this before, so forgive my asking again - can you tell us where this info comes from?

Posted on: 2009/7/18 7:52

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
The info about the watermark comes from my own personal experience. I own a typed, signed letter with the post marked envelope from Tolkien written on his Sandfield Road stationary to a little girl in 1964 (I was able to contact the original owner who stated they had lost the letter at Princeston University in the late sixties. I bought the letter from a seller who found the letter in a storage box at Princeton). The Basildon Bond watermark is clearly visible when held up to a light.

A good while ago I was interested in purchasing another letter from Tolkien offered on Ebay. The letter was advertised as also being on Tolkien's personal stationary from his Sandfield Road address and was dated 1955 if I remember correctly. I asked the seller to hold the letter up to a light and see if there was a watermark there. He replied that there was a Basildon Bond watermark present. I did not get the letter (it went much higher than I could pay for it).

Of course, this does not mean that Tolkien did not use stationary other than Basildon Bond during this period.

Jim.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 9:32

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for that. :)

Posted on: 2009/7/19 15:17

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The info about the watermark comes from my own personal experience. I own a typed, signed letter with the post marked envelope from Tolkien written on his Sandfield Road stationary to a little girl in 1964 (I was able to contact the original owner who stated they had lost the letter at Princeston University in the late sixties. I bought the letter from a seller who found the letter in a storage box at Princeton). The Basildon Bond watermark is clearly visible when held up to a light.

Jim is selling this letter on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tolkien-Signed- ... ain_0?hash=item3cabd716ba

Posted on: 2010/4/5 13:27

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Wow, you guys are fast....lol. I know I'm probably asking far too much for the letter. But that amount is the only thing that will get me to part with it.

Jim.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 13:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.