Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 February
2024-2-13 2:27:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm very fortunate to have some friends in the community who reach out and help with my searches sometimes.

A collector's work is never done though, the search continues!
13 February
2024-2-13 6:01:59 PM UTC
Roverandom Unnumbered copy of the 25 1st printings that were bound and sold through Temple Book Binders in 1998. This is outside of the 25, perhaps a proof copy that was used from the rest of the volumes.

The green leather edition was commissioned by Wim Meeuws. It was sold through Thornton's Bookshop in Oxford, not by Temple Bookbinders. There were also 2 copies that included both the UK and US first editions bound together.
13 February
2024-2-13 6:51:26 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:

Roverandom Unnumbered copy of the 25 1st printings that were bound and sold through Temple Book Binders in 1998. This is outside of the 25, perhaps a proof copy that was used from the rest of the volumes.

The green leather edition was commissioned by Wim Meeuws. It was sold through Thornton's Bookshop in Oxford, not by Temple Bookbinders. There were also 2 copies that included both the UK and US first editions bound together.

Right you are Deagol, I didn't mean to suggest that Temple actually did the selling of the volumes. I should have been more clear about that. If anyone is interested they can read more about this edition here.
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=2857
13 February
2024-2-13 8:42:54 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Deagol wrote:

Right you are Deagol, I didn't mean to suggest that Temple actually did the selling of the volumes. I should have been more clear about that. If anyone is interested they can read more about this edition here.
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=2857
Very cool when Wim Meeuws, Thornton's Bookshop just popped into the conversation himself :)
2 March
2024-3-2 12:12:57 AM UTC
Picked up this hardback 2008 Expanded On Fairy-Stories for a song recently. To my surprise when I checked the copyright page, it’s a 2nd print. Never seen a 2nd anywhere before and I think most of us thought there was only one print run of these…

5058_65e26e09bb973.jpeg 3022X3273 px

5058_65e26e09bbbe7.jpeg 2775X4028 px
2 March
2024-3-2 12:14:42 AM UTC
Nice find, congrats. I really need to find a copy of this. This was one I lost in a house move and never found it for a price I liked. The pocket edition just doesn't do it for me.
2 March
2024-3-2 1:03:03 AM UTC
Mr Underhill, I’m surprised you didn’t have one already. But I’ve never heard of or seen a 2nd anyway.
2 March
2024-3-2 6:52:45 AM UTC
Here's another 2nd print - I have this on loan at the moment from the Gothenburg University Library.

5570_65e2ccb1ec869.jpg 3000X4000 px
2 March (edited)
2024-3-2 6:54:54 AM UTC
Douglas A. Anderson had told me in an email I think there were only two printings of the hardcover--the first sold out almost immediately, and they reprinted. It has had at least 24 impressions as a paperback.
2 March
2024-3-2 2:15:12 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Douglas A. Anderson had told me in an email I think there were only two printings of the hardcover--the first sold out almost immediately, and they reprinted. It has had at least 24 impressions as a paperback.

Thanks for producing that correspondence with Doug Trotter. I knew that the 1st print sold out very quickly...but didn't know about the reprinting.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us