Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Signed Silmarillions

4 Oct, 2009
2009-10-4 1:49:34 PM UTC

4 Oct, 2009
2009-10-4 5:18:09 PM UTC
I have several items signed by both Priscilla and Fr. John. Allowing for the problems of viewing through a PC, I'd say the first one looks ok to me. The second one rings some warning bells:

- What are the odds that two almost identical (and rare) articles should appear on ebay at the same time?

- The signatures in the second copy look identical to those in the first; not always a good sign!

- Both articles are said to be from 'Oxenmoot'. In the first, that's based on a mis-reading of Fr. John's writing. But I'd guess the second sales pitch is simply aping the first, and so I'd be very wary of that one.
5 Oct, 2009
2009-10-5 9:33:11 AM UTC
The first auction (seller: bibliology) is for the same copy that I posted a thread about back in May. (The present auction has now finished with no takers.)

John & Priscilla Signed Silmarillion on eBay...

I can't remember the seller (nobody familiar), but evidently it was purchased by bibliology at that time: price was £157. That seller answered questions quite honestly; the opening price was pretty low if I recall; and the seller was at Oxenmoot themselves.

This gene--ius auction is indeed very suspicious. Firstly they're nearly identical. Secondly, look at the sellers rating and other two auctions: both local pick-up, with dubious return policy. I think this is a fake. In reply to how the signing came about seller replied:

Unfortunately I cannot be too sure as it was my grandfather who got them signed and he has passed on but I believe it was at Oxenmoot in 1977 which seems to be a yearly meeting for the tolkien society in the UK which he was a part of. I hope that answers your question.
- gene--ius

Seems very convenient.

On looking at the signatures themselves: John Tolkien's signature is very similar in both. However the suspect Priscilla signature is slightly different: the P is slightly laboured; the two l's are joined; and the k is lost in 'Tolkien'. The red pen is also unusual. And if you follow that this is a fake then I suspect after doing Priscilla's in blue (like the bibliology one) the seller decided that black would be too exact, and having no other colour (that would be likely) did John's in red.

Although in saying all this, often when one appears on eBay, another (genuine auction) follows shortly after.

BH

125_4ac9b812e6f1e.jpg 400X300 px

125_4ac9b8cdee480.jpg 500X375 px
8 Oct, 2009
2009-10-8 9:51:53 PM UTC
Well, even without provenance, it eventually finished at £105...

BH
3 Oct, 2022 (edited)
2022-10-3 7:15:14 PM UTC
Resurrecting an old topic.
Just would like to add a pic of a Silmarillion copy I just managed to grab, with signatures of Priscilla and John Francis Tolkien (from Oxenmout 1977).

4888_633b34a0e1b50.jpeg 1852X2000 px
5 Oct, 2022
2022-10-5 11:11:19 AM UTC
thats a great find Emilien!
5 Oct, 2022
2022-10-5 12:49:24 PM UTC
Thank you northman !

I managed to get signatures from almost all the Tolkien Family now :

- Christopher Tolkien (x4) (CoH and S&G superdeluxes, CoH 1st US trade edition (signed on bookplate), and a 1st UK Silmarillion (flat signed, A&U employee's copy)
- Priscilla Tolkien (x2) (1st UK Silmarillion, Ashmolean 1976's Drawings by Tolkien booklet)
- John Tolkien (x1) (1st UK Silmarillion)
- Baillie Tolkien (x5) (at Nanterre University, december of last year, CoH, B&L, LFFC UK 1st deluxe editions, Drawings by Tolkien, LFFC 1st UK edition)
- Adam Tolkien (x2) (at BNF exhibition, Exhibition catalog and POME 1st UK edition)

I still miss signatures from Michael Tolkien, and of course, the Professor himself (this one will be very hard to find for me and my wallet... hunting of a lifetime)
5 Oct, 2022
2022-10-5 1:02:29 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Thank you northman !

I managed to get signatures from almost all the Tolkien Family now :

- Christopher Tolkien (x4) (CoH and S&G superdeluxes, CoH 1st US trade edition (signed on bookplate), and a 1st UK Silmarillion (flat signed, A&U employee's copy)
- Priscilla Tolkien (x2) (1st UK Silmarillion, Ashmolean 1976's Drawings by Tolkien booklet)
- John Tolkien (x1) (1st UK Silmarillion)
- Baillie Tolkien (x5) (at Nanterre University, december of last year, CoH, B&L, LFFC UK 1st deluxe editions, Drawings by Tolkien, LFFC 1st UK edition)
- Adam Tolkien (x2) (at BNF exhibition, Exhibition catalog and POME 1st UK edition)

I still miss signatures from Michael Tolkien, and of course, the Professor himself (this one will be very hard to find for me and my wallet... hunting of a lifetime)

You forgot Simon and Royd
5 Oct, 2022
2022-10-5 1:05:10 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

You forgot Simon and Royd

Yes you're right !
Even if, but I might be wrong, I have the feeling they are a bit less connected to Ronald's works
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us