This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: valhalla83
(1230)
Ended Mar 9, 2024
EUR 255.00
[14 Bids]
3 March
2024-3-3 12:58:29 AM UTC
I ended up getting this for the minimum asking bid and I immediately became paranoid as no one else even bid. Admittedly the seller did not appear to be selling similar stuff, but if what I actually receive is what was in the pictures it seems that $300 would be a good deal for a Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee signed edition. All the material shown seems to point to legitimate provenance, including a receipt from a New York Barnes and Noble where these would have been available. Any thoughts as to whether it’s likely a scam? I suppose I’ll find out within a couple weeks anyway.

Edit: sorry I thought I had included this, it’s in reference to this post about The Children of Hurin

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=55239#forumpost55239
3 March
2024-3-3 1:09:29 AM UTC
Looks like you made a good deal. The Alan Lee signature is common, but that is a great price for a Christopher signature. Is it the sellers feedback that makes you worried? The signed plate looks correct to me.
3 March
2024-3-3 1:25:09 AM UTC
The only thing that worries me is that no one else even bid on it! I agree, everything about the listing itself looks promising.
3 March
2024-3-3 1:35:42 AM UTC

Friend wrote:

The only thing that worries me is that no one else even bid on it! I agree, everything about the listing itself looks promising.

If it makes you feel any better, I was going to bid - had my finger on the confirm bid button - but just didn't hit it (having bought so many books in the past couple of days).

All looks great to me. A great addition to the collection and a real bargain. Congrats.....
3 March
2024-3-3 1:43:37 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Friend wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I was going to bid - had my finger on the confirm bid button - but just didn't hit it (having bought so many books in the past couple of days).

All looks great to me. A great addition to the collection and a real bargain. Congrats.....

That is legitimately reassuring, thanks for letting me know! I’m definitely excited, I’d seen one or two Christopher signed books recently which gave me an itch, but I lot of what I saw seemed out of reach so I’m glad about this one.
3 March
2024-3-3 2:50:13 AM UTC
I saw this too and noticed the info was off (for ex. saying only 50 copies were sold at that event is not true). I asked them about it and although their responses were not completely reassuring, I did get the sense that they were telling the truth. Probably just confused. I think you got a bargain, well done
3 March
2024-3-3 2:58:54 AM UTC
Yes, I noticed that as well, interestingly the other few specimens available on eBay (for outrageous buy it now prices) all have that same error of being 1 of 50. If I remember correctly, it was 450 at that release in New York and the other 450 spread around the country but possibly I’m misremembering. I know people don’t necessarily like bookplates and I get why, but in this case it’s an additional thing to fake, so that makes me feel a little better. And then the fact that they have a corroborating receipt is also reassuring. We'll just have to see when it gets here!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us