Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 March (edited)
2024-3-6 10:56:31 PM UTC

Éarendel wrote:

Does anybody know why both priced and unpriced dustjackets were printed for the original hardback editions of The War of the Jewels and Peoples, especially since both volumes had only one impression? Were books with unpriced dustjackets sold through BCA and priced ones through regular book shops?

(Added this here, as I did not want to make a separate topic for this question and it seemed to fit here.)

There is an excellent article on tolkienbooks.net concerning this topic

https://tolkienbooks.net/php/prices-on-dws.php

In summary: Vols 6-12 - I am not sure it is possible to distinguish between Domestic / Export & Book Club Issued Editions.

Edit/Add:

But maybe it is correct to say that if there is a printed price on the Dustjacket - then it should be a UK Domestic Edition?

But equally - if it is unpriced - it may still be a UK Domestic Edition (and not necessarily book club).

Is this correct? Any further views?
7 March
2024-3-7 12:27:43 AM UTC

remy wrote:

In summary: Vols 6-12 - I am not sure it is possible to distinguish between Domestic / Export & Book Club Issued Editions.

Edit/Add:

But maybe it is correct to say that if there is a printed price on the Dustjacket - then it should be a UK Domestic Edition?

But equally - if it is unpriced - it may still be a UK Domestic Edition (and not necessarily book club).

Is this correct? Any further views?

Thanks for the link, yes it is an excellent article. I personally think you are correct - the unpriced jackets could and possibly were used for domestic retail sales in addition to book club sales. I don't think there's a measurable difference in price on the secondary market for these volumes with and without price on the jacket.
7 March
2024-3-7 12:56:54 PM UTC
Ah yes, should've remembered that article, thanks for your input remy and Urulókë!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us