Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jemima Hunt - Roverandom
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Jemima submitted some illustrations to Harper Collins for a new illustrated edition of Roverandom. I was suprised at this as it has only just been reprinted in "Tales from the Perilous Realm".

Christopher Tolkien turned her down.

"Tolkien
I heard back from the publishing director of Harper Collins - David Brawn recently regarding the Roverandom illustrations which were being considered for publication. It was up to Christopher Tolkien, (J. R. R. Tolkien's son) as to whether it would go ahead. Tolkien spoke very kindly of my illustrations but didn't feel they were suitable for his fathers work (this wasn't a suprise as he had turned away Tove Jansson).
He said:
"Jemima, on the other hand, paints to a wholly different vision, and one that I find intrinsically greatly preferable, but as an accompaniment to the actual tale of Roverandom as my father told it I'm not really enthusiastic."

It was a long shot, and although I am disappointed, I am extremely pleased that Christopher Tolkien took the time to look at my illustrations and spoke warmly of them and that Harper Collins felt them good enough to put forward to him."

http://jemimahunt.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... -request-and-tolkien.html

but she does have some of illustrations on her web site

http://www.jemimahunt.co.uk/roverandom.html.

I quite like them, it will be interesting to see what the final chosen illustrations will be like.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 1:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]