Re: Alexander Autographs
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Jlong wrote:
Some letters and signed books are available for sale through Alexander Autographs this month.

Tolkien signature:
http://auctions.alexautographs.com/as ... +++++1160+&refno=+++64308

This signature has been discussed on here before. I believe that quite a few collector's including myself have the same signed item and a very convincing reproduction it is too. I think they are trying to sell a very common reproduction here.

Here is another copy of the signed item.

http://www.hobbit.ca/UK111e-signed.jpg

Posted on: 2010/1/7 22:17

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Indeed I have a (very convincing) copy of the same signed note that was included (as a free token) with a book I purchased a few years ago.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 2:08

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I sent the following email to the Auction House about the item above.

I am concerned about one of the lots in your upcoming autograph auction on January 20-21st 2010.

Sale 40 Lot 1160 J. R. R. TOLKIEN (1892 - 1973) British author known especially for his works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Very fine A.N.S. on an oblong sheet measuring 8 1/2" x 3 1/2", in full: "If you would like a signature for 'The Lord of the Rings,' you can stick this in with my good wishes. J. R. R. Tolkien 20/6/73". Beautifully penned the year of his death with a fine flourished signature. Pristine condition. Estimate $ 1,000-1,200

The problem is that this item has been extensively reproduced to a very high quality, indeed I have the same 'signed' letter, and it is highly likely that the copy you have for sale is also a reproduction. A lot of Tolkien dealers gave away this reproduction with Tolkien books over the last twenty years.

I have put some more information on the Tolkien Collectors Guide Website about the issue including a picture of it being given away with another book http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ost_id=5721#forumpost5721 Regards Andrew

I think I have asked this before, but does anyone know who owns the original of this item.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 4:46

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have one of those signed sheets, too. it's very nice - though in hindsight it might have been better if the seller had printed 'facsimile siganture' on the back. On the other hand; it could be said that it's obviously a copy, because of the 'feel' of the card.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 9:55

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]