Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Hobbit Tea contest
Home away from home
From The Green Hill Country
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Contrary to an earlier post, I have replied to Urulókë's email (I still need some tutoring on the derivation of the new name!) and will accept the tea. As I noted to him, I don't remember the last time I won anything (except for $2 on a scratch off lottery ticket.) However, I have enough unopened calendars to satisfy that obsession. (OK, I'll never have enough but that's my problem!) So I will open the boxes of tea and share them with my coworkers (who are a great bunch of people), talk about this gift, capture their comments, and report back when I have done so. If I can find where to hide the boxes, I will stash them away though. I guess we all share that compulsion or we would not be posting here!

Beaming from The Green Hill Country,

Parm

Posted on: 2010/4/13 17:42

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I still need some tutoring on the derivation of the new name!

According to the Index in the back of The Silmarillon, Urulóki is a Quenya word meaning fire-serpent or dragon, very apt for Jeremy's avatar. I assume that Urulókë is the plural of dragons.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 22:45

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Close!

Urulókë is singular ("fire-serpent" or "dragon") and Urulóki is plural ("dragons"). At least according to the manuscripts in The War of the Jewels - it does appear that in putting together The Silmarillion Christopher went with the wrong form - at least from my limited understanding of Quenya plurals.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 0:38

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The things we can learn from this forum!

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2010/4/14 2:40

Just can't stay away
From Tolkien Society Unquendor in the Netherlands
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have some extra too - I heard from some of the regulars that they didn't want to "brag" (my word) and so did not write in.
Well, eh, Jeremy, I actually like to talk about my life as a Tolkien-geek (eh ... appreciator), but I often don’t find the time, and that’s the only reason I haven’t posted in this topic ... I also like tea.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 22:01

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]