Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Speed changes
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Spent some time last night cleaning up under the hood. More work to be done (mostly because some changes had unexpected consequences so I held off on doing them) but the website should load a lot faster now.

Initial loads (for new visitors) should have gone down about half (for me, from 15 seconds to 8 seconds) and the same for subsequent visitors (again for me, 8 seconds to about four). Your mileage will vary because speed depends on where you are in the world, but hopefully this makes the site more usable in general.

One of the side effects I haven't come up with a perfect answer for is removal of some widgets I like but that are really slow - the Google Translate was itself about a second of latency, and the Twitter feed widget was about three seconds of latency by itself! These should be the only visible results of the tweaking though, the rest is behind the scenes improvements.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 10:32

Re: Speed changes?
Home away from home
From The Green Hill Country
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Geez, I thought it was "Speed Kills" ?!?

Am glad that you know how to do that "stuff." I didn't even program my current website. My son did during a college web class. (OK, I HAVE done all of the programming and updates based upon the templates that he provided.) So I'm impressed.

But how busy are we when we think that waiting only 8 seconds is SOOOOOOO much better than waiting 15? I think it speaks to the impatience resulting from wanting to do so much and only having so much time. I have to admit clicking my mouse a million times (seemed like that many, anyhow!) and yelling, "C'mon you stupid computer. Load the ^!$%%* page!"

Frankly, I don't care how long it takes. These pages are worth the wait (even if it were still an entire 15 seconds!) I don't post on everything. But I do read the many threads with interest (even if I don't collect the books.) Hearing what the knowledgeable have to say about the many subjects is worth the reads.

OK. I'll stop waxing philosophical and thank you for this site no matter how long it takes to get onto it!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

P

Posted on: 2010/4/19 14:51

Re: Speed changes?
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I wasn't particularly in a hurry (no pun intended) to do this myself, though I will be the first to admit that faster page loads means more new visitors stay around to see the site - I am already seeing better traffic stats post-changes, we will see if that lasts...

But the primary driver is that Google is implementing changes to search page ranks that will take speed into account - faster websites will be returned nearer the top of search results, and slow sites will be pushed downward.

Mostly, though, a faster user experience means happier visitors. And I wanted to learn how to properly implement server-side compression and asset caching...

Posted on: 2010/4/19 15:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]