Findegil
14 hours 19 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 24 »

A nice blog on collecting Tolkien books
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
OK, so I may be biased because it's mine, but I just started a blog on collecting Tolkien: http://collectingtolkien.blogspot.com

I only started collecting seriously this month(!) but I am buying books every month, and already have a half dozen titles (going to add the rest over the next week or so).

My plan is to do something I don't currently see on the net: provide lots of pics of books, and 500 words or so on the book itself - what makes it different to others, a bit about its history etc. Currently I'm having to go to a few different places to get all of this info.

Anyway, please consider adding yourself as a 'follower', as this will be a blog that gets regularly updated for a long time to come!

Thanks

Andrew

Posted on: 2010/8/1 11:41

Re: A nice blog on collecting Tolkien books
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Very impressive, so far! I wish you well with it. It's not something I'd do myself (there weren't no such things as blogs when I started collecting), and I couldn't catch up with my collection now - too big!

But, if this is meant to be a discussion thread, I do have a thought or two about the assertion that the UK 50th anniversary edition is widely regarded as the most luxurious edition. I can't help wondering where this notion comes from. Speaking as one who has copies of all the de luxe editions so far, I think the paper and foil covers of this edition will probably not last as long nor as well as the cloth and leather of its predecessors, nor the buckram of the 1969 original.

If it comes down to personal preference, this is my favourite, not least because it was seen by Tolkien himself; he called it 'the Bible edition'* because it was printed on Oxford India paper, which makes a very elegant edition, plus it has full sized maps! I can forgive the odd typo and the lack of the Pages of Mazarbul for those lovely thin pages, and those gorgeous maps!

*according to his grand-daughter Joanna Tolkien - see her 1995 after-dinner speech in the booklet 'Digging Potatoes, Growing Trees - 25 years of After-Dinner Speeches at the Tolkien Society's Annual Dinners' Vol.2, ed. Helen Armstrong, 1998.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 15:21

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
bruffyboy wrote on his blog. What you won't read in the blurb, but can't help but feel, is that there are surely STILL a whole bunch of errors in this release, but it's nice to know you have the most definitive edition on the market.

Wayne & Christina have a website containing Addenda and Corrigenda to Our Writings including the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Lord of the Rings detailing changes to this edition, some of which were corrected in the 2005 printings.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond/addenda/rings.html

Posted on: 2010/8/1 22:11

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Thanks to both of you! Indeed, I've never quite understood the assertion that this is the most luxurious edition, but have read it numerous times and felt it was worth mentioning.

Trotter, I will add that information to the blog- thanks for that.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 0:09

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I will follow your blog.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 7:20

(1) 2 3 4 ... 24 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.