1 day 15 hours 29 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Recent Tolkien events
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for those links, Wayne. Just read through them, and watched the youtube videos. Blimey... it looks pretty desperate. So much space in the venues, and so few attendees.

I see the question of publicity was raised (by the organisers) and prob. the weather did have an effect on the passing trade (though how much interest the general public may have in a Tolkien event is a moot point), but I guess the reason for what looks to be such a poor turn-out would have to be the ticket price(s). This is something they'll have to look at, if there's to be a follow-up next year.

I admit I have a bone to pick here - I'd have really liked to have gone to this event, and met up with Shippey and Flieger once more (and to have had the opportunity to meet Fimi, and Rodney Matthews!) But I reckon the cost of the main tickets - 260.00 each - plus accomodation would come to 800.00 (and that's for four nights in a B&B, not hotel prices). Then add fuel and food, and you're over the thousand pound mark. Just unsustainable, for a few days in Wales, no matter how good the speakers.

BTW - some time ago I asked what it is that made Macynlleth 'the heart of Tolkien country' and as yet haven't had an answer. Purely in a spirit of fun, I'd like to know; is this part of Wales now the heart of Tolkien country? and if so, how? And why?

ps - Beren - I've just checked and yes, you were down to give a talk on Tolkien signatures on the Sunday, between 11am and 2pm. rather a long stint. As for the collection of which we speak - well, I said it was only dealers' talk. If I'm wrong, I apologise; but we'll see.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:30

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Trotter - sorry, your post came up as I was typing mine. Ruth Lacon, you say? Crikey! yes, that's our Ruth, looking as well as ever, over there in Wales with all the bigwigs, and Alex Lewis.

Aw! I'm glad she's feeling better.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:32

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
BTW - some time ago I asked what it is that made Macynlleth 'the heart of Tolkien country' and as yet haven't had an answer. Purely in a spirit of fun, I'd like to know; is this part of Wales the heart of Tolkien country? and if so, how? And why?

In the podcast that I mentioned Tom Shippey was asked this very question and he categorically denied that Tolkien thought Wales has anything to do with the Shire.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:36

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for that, Trotter. Still haven't got to that point yet - I can't seem to get past someone's excruciating version of 'my old man's a dustman'. Awful!

Meanwhile, I have another link here, from our friends over at Middle earth Journeys.

http://middle-earth-journeys.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225

Just started - their reports of Oxonmoot are detailed, and entertaining; so I look forward to continuing my reading of their Welsh reports.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 2:26

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I edited my original post, Tom starts at 52 minutes 35 seconds into the podcast.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 3:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]