Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

eBay [Very low book prices]
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have just bought a copy of "A Look Behind The Lord Of The Rings" by Lin Carter for £0.50 on eBay and £2 postage and packing. From my point of view that is very cheap but from the seller's point of view, this is really bad. I paid via Paypal using my credit card, so they were hit three times for charges, twice from Paypal (second time for Credit Card payment) and one from eBay for selling the item.

Additionally the book may cost more than £2 to send in postage and packing, my understanding is that you are not allowed to charge more than that for a book no matter the weight.

I personally do not sell any of my surplus books via eBay, I give them to charity shops instead, but I do feel sorry for this seller who is bound to be out of pocket.

What do others think?

Posted on: 2010/8/30 4:36

Edited by Khamul on 2011/1/9 12:07:46
Edited by Khamul on 2011/1/9 12:11:24

Re: eBay
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Very similar to the bottom-feeders on Amazon (penny books) and ABE (dollar minimum). Some people will sell at any price (I guess it feels better than giving the book away). I have a minimum price that I do not sell below on any venue, but for the most part I agree - trade at bookstore, donate to library or Goodwill (charity organization around here), send to someone using bookmooch (bookmooch.com is great!) etc.

With careful management of costs, it is possible to make a few cents "profit" selling a book for a penny on Amazon. All it takes is using zero-cost packing materials and sending the cheapest possible method. There is a reason I don't buy penny books.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 9:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]