(1) 2 »

BBC Archive Video from 1968 - Tolkien in Oxford
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
30 March 1968 From the Chronology for this date, it was originally called Tolkien in Oxford and was broadcast on BBC2 as part of the programme Release from 9:50 to 10:30pm.

For people who don't have access to Rayner Unwin's George Allen & Unwin - a Remembrancer, this documentary is mentioned on page 127.

There was also an opportunity, which we did not want to miss, for a BBC film to be made on 'Tolkien in Oxford.' Early in 1968 I broached the idea to Tolkien, well aware of his instinctive detestation of personal publicity, and of previous blunderings by the BBC in particular. 'I would recommend this project as the least painful way of putting yourself on the record for posterity and giving yourself a let-out for future importunate film-makers'. ... The film was made during a bleak couple of days in February. Tolkien co-operated, but only occasionally did the filming spark his imagination and enthusiasm. At the end he was taken, muffled in his overcoat, to be filmed watching a firework display, that it was assumed, because Gandalf had made them for Old Took, Tolkien would enjoy. But he was tired and confused and the finished film had so many distractions, with student opinions being given equal weight to Tolkien himself, that it was a less memorable programme than we had hoped. Posterity is also the poorer for the loss of a large quantity of film that was discarded at the cutting-room stage and has subsequently disappeared.

It appears to be viewable worldwide and it is great to see the BBC putting some of these documentaries on view again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/writers/12237.shtml

Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:49

Edited by Trotter on 2010/8/19 22:31:25
Edited by Trotter on 2010/8/19 23:07:07

Re: BBC Archive Video from 1968 - Tolkien in Oxford
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Another BBC programme that contains an interview with Tolkien. This is only viewable in the UK though.

Series looking at the story of the British novel in the 20th century, told by those who know it best - the authors themselves.

The second part marks the end of the Second World War and the beginning of the atomic age, with humanity now having the power of world destruction. What WH Auden coined the Age of Anxiety had begun. The holocaust and the nuclear cloud dominated the sensibility of the period and as political tensions worsened, the mood of anxiety, horror and fear of possible armageddon intensified. A new generation of novelists were on hand to confront and articulate this age - the period that reaffirmed realism was also the period of its dissolution.

Broadcast on:
BBC Four, 9:00pm Monday 23rd August 2010
Duration:
60 minutes
Available until:
9:59pm Monday 6th September 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/ ... f_Anxiety_%2819451969%29/

Posted on: 2010/8/24 22:42

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Did you actually watch this at the time Trotter? The comment (at the very end of the Tolkien segment) about escapism! --grrr...

BH

Posted on: 2010/8/25 10:53

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Khamul I did not have time to watch it before I posted, but I have now. It's Tolkien in Oxford without the student quotes and a lot of Tolkien. Rayner Unwin was so right in his comments on posterity

Watch the original Tolkien in Oxford instead, I'd love to know why at the end of the Tolkien in Oxford TV programme they take off in a helicopter and fly around Oxford for about three minutes, when

Posterity is also the poorer for the loss of a large quantity of film that was discarded at the cutting-room stage and has subsequently disappeared.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 11:26

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Trotter, which Tolkien interview does that BBC programme contain?

Posted on: 2010/9/4 5:42

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]