Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Jul, 2010
2010-7-11 12:37:14 AM UTC
Trotter wrote:

I can't agree with David Brawn's comments that "a production problem resulted in the heights of the three volumes being marginally different". The books vary considerably in width and height between the three editions. It would have been very difficult to make a slipcase that housed the three books, you would have needed some sort of padding to stop the books falling out.

Actually the books themselves only differ in height quite marginally. I think my volume and 1,2 and 3 only differ in height by 1-1.5mm or so (from shortest to tallest). The real issue in height on these volumes is all down to the different construction of the slipcases, which exaggerates the differences hugely. It would be quite easy to make a slipcase housing all three that would look "OK", but not great (especially when also taking into account the different profiles of the spines). This is evidently what HC found, so they decided not to bother.

Stu.
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 6:31:18 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I'm currently considering purchasing the HarperCollins POD reissue of the last three volumes of HoMe (I do have the Houghton Mifflin editions for these volumes, but the pages are just glued together , and the black covers tend to get moldy in no time--partly due to the tropical climate where I live, but then again, I have no such problems at all with vols. 1-9 of my HoMe collection, which are all UK copies [different cover material]).

ANYWAY, I'm just curious if anyone who has purchased the HC POD reissues of Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels or Peoples of Middle-earth (or any book in the series really) could tell me how the BINDING is: are these reissues properly sewn (like the first nine volumes of the originial UK release--I've never seen the last three volumes of the original UK edition, but I assume they were also sewn ), OR are they just glued together? If the latter is the case, I'm not interested in buying them, since the price seems a bit steep for copies that are really just glorified paperbacks (as so many hardcovers today, alas!)

Also, I assume the pagination is the same as in the original volumes?

And what exact material are the covers made of? Similar to that of the original issue? (I'd prefer that to something fancy like linen, etc, since I tend to have problems with that (mold and such, see above).

Last not least, do these reissues contain the original frontispieces for vols. 10 and 12?

Mostly, though, I'm concerned about the binding...

Thanks in advance for any replies!

felagund
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 10:44:30 AM UTC
I bought a copy of "Sauron Defeated", here are my comments from earlier in the post.

I bought a copy of the POD version of Sauron Defeated and am able to compare it with the first edition. The dust jacket is a different colour to the original (the original cover is a burgundy, the new cover is brown and is lighter in colour than the cover of BOLT2). This is probably due to the new printing process. The barcode on the rear of the cover is about twice as big on this copy. I don't understand why these books have barcodes on them as they are printed to order, and I can't see any purpose that they serve The colour plates in the book are darker in the new book, but the quality of the reproduction is just as good as the original book. The copyright information shows This edition published by HarperCollinsPublishers 2010 1 I can't imagine that the number line would ever change with these books. The most obvious difference between the books are that the binding of the book is now black (the original binding is the same colour as the dust jacket). This is the same as the POD Index and I am assuming that all the POD History of Middle-Earth books have black bindings. Overall though I am very impressed with these books.

I didn't mention but they are glued and not sewn, I think all print on demand books would be glued. The covers are paper not cloth and as mentioned above the covers would appear to be same colour for every POD volume (brown). The page numbering is the same as the originals. If you buy the Index you will see it is identical to the other POD copies.
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 11:22:08 AM UTC
Trotter wrote:
The covers are paper not cloth and as mentioned above the covers would appear to be same colour for every POD volume (brown).

Aren't the covers black? My Index is certainly black.

Stu
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 12:11:59 PM UTC
Aren't the covers black? My Index is certainly black.

You are right, it is the same colour as the index (black).
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 2:24:55 PM UTC
Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

I assume by color plates you mean the frontispieces, so that's good news...

And I like the fact that they used paper and not cloth for the covers.

Still, I think these volumes are a bit overpriced if they're not even sewn copies ... also, the covers are a different color from the original editions ... I would've expected a bit more, especially after reading somewhere that "HarperCollins will now reprint all volumes and keep the original look & feel..." Well, not quite then, eh.

Cheers,

felagund
16 Sep, 2010
2010-9-16 3:56:41 PM UTC
I think the Print-on-Demand printing process is very different to the traditional process, so it is not possible to keep exactly the "original look & feel".

As I stated earlier, I still thank HarperCollins for using this process and hope more out of print editions will be added soon.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us